Posted by on Jul 19, 2013 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes – September 12th, 2012

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

September 12, 2012

The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on September 12, 2012 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.

 

All board members present except Ric Rapp.  WCC members in attendance: Johanna Kim.  Invitee: Bill Rosehill

 

President Jim Albone opened the meeting.

 

Koa Log: Bill Rosehill

  • Paid up to initial milling, 3 weeks spent for 1 canoe boards squaring up, templates for canoe partially done from past and added to by naval architect no charge, CNC machine template cutouts $550
  • Adjusted price is $36k to finish canoe firm and final quote to finish canoe, board asked if any relief can be provided
  • Bill offered to reduce price by $3,000 in exchange for using the canoe in 3 specific races for the next 2 years, 2 unlimited class races (Papa A Ono, Olomouc, March and April or May) and Liliuokalani, Canoe will be water ready in another 2-3 months.  Payment plan is an option and Bill would work on plan with us
  • Jim asked what kind of Amax would it need; Moku

 

Acceptance of Previous Minutes

August 8, 2012 meeting minutes approved

 

Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier

  • See Treasurer’s report for financials, accepted
  • 2nd half of the Sept 29th event monies received
  • GWCR financial recap and donation to ACS, 64 crews, 3 keiki crews, Bruce motion to give ACS $2000, Derek 2nd, unanimously approved

 

Coach’s Report: Derek Park

  • Last race this weekend, practice times will move up with sunsets

 

Moku Update:  Jim Albone

  • No updates, meeting on the 29th, this is the meeting for by laws and race rules change proposals
  • Derek made request to have 2 separate trophies given out, Keiki trophy and then Adult trophy, must take the race rules section and propose specific change to the actual rule.  Derek made motion to propose this change on behalf of WCC, unanimously approved.
  • If Ira doesn’t propose to change the Moku wording to the HCRA wording for Koa canoes, then Jim will propose

 

 

 

 

Equipment Report: Derek Park

  • OC1 Rack builds; Awaiting direction/input from Martin.  Martin, Greg, & Kea are going to spearhead the building.
  • Paddle racks inside shed need to be rebuilt; Derek will look at plans to rebuild.  Also replace/repair shelving
  • 2 sets of Iakos are being repaired now, only 1 remaining set to complete and will include paddles after this weekend’s race
  • Dollie, frame steel is already purchased and Derek has, table building and completion until after J3 is fixed
  • Ama holder will be incorporated into our trailer rebuild after Kai Opua fixes the damages from their borrowing at Queen Lili.  Derek will provide and bill Kai Opua for fixing the trailer including parts, labor, and re-painting.
  • Derek requested reimbursement for canoe towing this season.  Will put together invoice and submit.
  • J3 damage Bill did not bring quote; awaiting quote then can add to cost for Ama and 1 Iako
  • New Ama; Makana’s Puffy is cracked, discussion to buy new Ama for Makana and if J3 is repairable use an old Ama (channel master) on J3.  Proposal to get a new low volume Bixler ($1200) and talk to Bumatay regarding ultra light yakos ($750) that don’t require wedges.  Derek motion to order a new low volume Bixler Ama, Bruce 2nd, unanimously approved.

 

KOA Log: Kim Pratt / Jim Albone

  • Conversation regarding Bill’s new quote for Koa canoe.  Derek stopped the bid from Odie after Bill had continued milling and had just a verbal quote of $25k but needs the waterline specs and more info, quoted $500 the second milling but still needs the specs.   
  • Discussed relationship risk in switching builder and experience in 6 man Koa building.  Discussion on Bill’s offer to reduce price $3k for 6 races agreed offer off the table.
  • Michelle move to go with Bill’s $36k quote, Michael 2nd, motion passed 5 to 1          

Old Business:

 

Bylaws Revision: Committee: Adrea, Jenn, Derek, Michelle, and Johanna Lyman

  • Sent revised Bylaws to board review with club input added.  Add to the bylaws The Head Coach shall be an honorary member of the board with no voting powers.  Amended Motion by Michelle to approve as the proposed by laws with the Head Coach amendment to the canoe club and put to special meeting for approval by club.  Derek 2nd.  Unanimously approved.  Set special meeting for Wednesday October 10th 6pm at Hawaiian Dreams offices.
  • Policies and Procedures updated with club input added.  Motion to approve the changes, Jennifer 2nd, unanimously approved.      

 

 

Upcoming Events: Michael

  • September 29th event at Lava Lava Beach Club from Incentives Hawaii now 100% paid.  Event is at 5pm, paddlers at the beach at 4pm.  4 canoes, recreational paddle
  • October 13th Ironman, already gave us $1k, more information forthcoming, station south of the Hapuna Beach entrance
  • October 14th contract for $3,500, this is through Incentives Hawaii, 6 canoes, regatta set up with timers, provide steersman and strokers, 9am to 1 pm, paddlers at the beach at 8am.  Jennifer motion to provide 20 Purple Bev Key Medals for the winning team of the October 14th event. Michael 2nd.  Unanimously approved.

 

GWCR Follow Up / Post Race: Committee; Bob, Michael, Adrea, Jenn

  • Get all the logos and information on the website
  • Completing the thank you letters for donations and Lava Lava for the party

 

Waikoloa Land Company

  • Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle

               

Waikoloa Canoe Club Membership ID card 

  • Michael will find business card stock.     

 

Membership Forms:

  • Michelle to insert new wording onto membership forms

 

6am Recreation Paddle:

  • Some paddlers have inquired into the 6am Rec paddle program; will notify requestors there must be a program director approved by the board to restart the program. 

 

New Business

 

Christmas Trees at Mauna Lani; Bruce

  • $2k for the winning tree, Bruce turned information over to Michael to review

 

Indiegogo.com; Bruce

  • Donation site for donation requests, donate x dollars and receive x item

 

Dominoes; Michelle

  • Waimea location will let us do 1 x month & they will donate 10% of proceeds in exchange for handing out flyers

 

Hi-5; Matt

  • Matt is running until next board, need to notify members

 

Legal Document for borrowing canoes

  • Need a lawyer to assist in writing to ensure legally binding

 

Derek’s request to fix canoe covers

  • Motion by Michelle to fix Derek’s covers per his emailed estimate and request.  Jennifer 2nd.  Unanimously approved.

 

Emergency Items to reaffirm

  • Insurance for 4 remaining canoes, 3 Racers and 1 4man, board recognizes approvals via email
  • Purchase of buoys before GWCR, board recognizes approvals via email

 

Canoes taken out at non practice times

  • Numerous reports of canoes out during non-paddling times w/o paddle director or waivers.  Jim will handle discussing with noted members.

 

Club Beach Party; Kim

  • Determine location, Kim to work on setting up for all club

 

Next meeting October 10th, 6:30pm at Hawaiian Dreams after Special Meeting at 6pm

Meeting adjourned 9:15 PM