Posted by on Jul 19, 2013 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes – October 10th, 2012

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

October 10, 2012

The meeting convened at 6:19 PM on October 10, 2012 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.

 

All board members present except Ric Rapp.  WCC members in attendance: Lucy, Jeb

 

President Jim Albone opened the meeting.

 

Acceptance of Previous Minutes

September 12, 2012 meeting minutes approved

 

Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier

  • See Treasurer’s report for financials, accepted
  • $2k received from the New Zealand team for J3, $240 from Kauai team for using canoes for the double hull race at Lili

 

Coach’s Report: Derek Park & Jeb Goss

  • Racing season is over all practices are now recreational

 

Moku Update:  Jeb Goss

  • Discussed new rules and changes for next ballot noted below;
  • Tui Tonga looking at another by-pass year this next year
  • Thank you letter from Kai Opua for borrowing canoes for their race
  • Motion to get rid of Juniors race and bring back Seniors race
  • Concerns on DQ’s
  • Proposed to change the Moku wording to the HCRA wording for Koa canoes
  • Items should be finalized in the October meetings then back to the clubs for vote

 

Equipment Report: Derek Park

  • OC1 Rack builds; Awaiting direction/input from Martin.  Martin, Greg, & Kea are going to spearhead the building.  Goal to have drawings to Waikoloa Land Company by end of October.
  • Drawing up blueprints to extend Halau roof to cover new Koa – Derek
  • Paddle racks inside shed need to be rebuilt; Derek will look at plans to rebuild.  Also replace/repair shelving
  • 2 sets of Iakos are being repaired now, only 1 remaining set to complete and will include paddles after this weekend’s fundraiser
  • J3 has been taken to Bill, he has not started yet.  Need to make priority. $2,300 to repair, with Iakos and Ama total is looking at $4,600.
  • Dollie, frame steel is already purchased and Derek has, table building and completion until after J3 is fixed.
  • Covers under repair will be ready by end of month

 

KOA Log: Kim Pratt / Jim Albone

  • Weight is now down in the 320’s after sanding so Ama in Koa is not a concern
  • Na’waa might have one built now and Kai Opua is now looking at it
  • Need to have cover made before canoe is completed
  • Progress on canoe is a little over half complete, Motion to pay Bill $5k now and $8k after we receive the $1,700 awaiting deposit this week by Derek, Bruce 2nd. Unanimously approved. 

Old Business:

 

Bylaws:

  • Special meeting held before regular board meeting, passed by all members in attendance.

 

Upcoming Events: Michael

  • October 13th Ironman, emails are out
  • October 14th Event Regatta: Aloha will bring timers, we need to provide steersman and strokers, paddlers at the beach at 8am.  Purple Bev Key Medals for the winning team in shed.  Still need steersmen and strokers.
  • MC&A has March group, wants to use canoes to serve drinks on the beach

 

Waikoloa Land Company

  • Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle

               

Waikoloa Canoe Club Membership ID card 

  • Michael will find business card stock to start Jan 1 with next year’s membership renewals.     

 

Membership Forms:

  • Michelle updated new forms and is working Bernt on clearing the cache on the site to keep the new forms.

 

6am Recreation Paddle:

  • Now 6:30 am Tuesday and Thursday only.

 

Christmas Trees at Mauna Lani;

  • $2k for the winning tree, Michael will get with Sue McCord

Indiegogo.com; Bruce

  • Donation site for donation requests, donate x dollars and receive x item, Bruce will write up some language

 

Dominoes; Michael

  • Waimea location will let us do 1 x month & they will donate 10% of proceeds in exchange for handing out flyers

 

 

Hi-5; Matt

  • Matt set up, Michael and Matt discussed some incentives.  Need to notify members. – Michelle will send email.

 

Legal Document for borrowing canoes

  • No reply to Michelle’s email requesting assistance to write up document
  • Discussion on if we really need a legal doc, maybe just for out of state borrowers as most in state would not risk relationships/reputations.
  • Look for a Liability acceptance or Damage waiver, check Legal Zoom – to be further investigated by Michelle

 

Canoes taken out at non practice times

  • Numerous reports of canoes out during non-paddling times w/o paddle director or waivers.  Jim will visit with noted members.  If it continues canoes will be locked.  Jeb will send another email as well.

 

End of Season WCC Club Party; Kim

  • Michael’s house, November 17th.  Kim to work on setting up for all club

 

New Business:

 

Annual Membership meeting

  • January 26th determined to be the date; 10AM at A-Bay
  • Nominating Committee; Need to email the members for volunteers, nominating committee should not be members running for the board.  Committee also puts the bio’s of nominees together, sets up the Absentee voting, and runs the election at the annual meeting (voting procedure/oversight).  Adrea volunteered to be on committee.  Incorporate into the email for nominating committee notice to attend 2 board meetings to run for the board.

 

Recreational 8AM Paddling Directors

  • Lucy suggested we have 3 Directors on rotation, Bruce will run one of the days after checking schedule
  • Marty will still participate as a Director
  • Kim can do most Sundays
  • Lucy suggested we have Jeb run a steering qualification and clinic, Jeb to determine level qualifications (in bay, out of bay, single canoe out of bay, or surfing)
  • Need to put on inside of door pricing of all shirts/hats etc.  Michelle will handle

 

Proposal by Adrea

  • Dolphin Quest has a 4 seat double hull looking to unload.  Jeb will go down and take a look at buoyancy etc. and report to board.  Pricing TBA.

 

Proposal from Surf Park by Jeb

  • They are loaning us a canoe for this Sunday’s fundraiser
  • Want to know if we want to lease our 2 Racers during the High School Season, November through January approx.  Jeb will find out exact dates.

 

2013 Coach; Jim

  • We need to send request for Head Coach interested parties for all names by end of October.  Jim to send email to club.
  • Derek volunteered to be considered with potential for Jeb to be Asst. Coach to help with growing pains.  Experience includes starting 6th season and years of sailboat racing.

 

Meeting adjourned 7:57 PM

Next meeting November 14th, 6:30pm at Hawaiian Dreams