Posted by on Dec 5, 2014 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes – September 30, 2014

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Director October Meeting Minutes

September 30, 2014

The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on September 30, 2014, at Hawaiian Dream Office in Waikoloa Village.

 

Secretary in attendance & Recorder of minutes; Jennifer Bolstad

 

All board members present (Harold Van Doren via conference call) except; Mike CQ, Ted Cassinelli

 

Coach Jeb Goss present

 

Members in attendance; Daniel Legler, Kim Pratt, Bitsy Bowman, Kyle Combs, Chris Nilsen, Bob Risley, Aron Risley, Mike Bernstone, John Warneke, Anthony Duclayan

 

President Jim Albone opened the meeting.

 

Acceptance of Previous Minutes

September 3, 2014 amended meeting minutes approved by 3. 1 abstain.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier

  • See P & L Statement, will send Harold copy

 

Coach’s Report: Jeb Goss

  • Hulakai race our guys took 3rd place in the 4 man race

 

Moku Update: Kim Pratt

  • Passed out race rules proposed changes, Kim needs feedback before Oct 18
  • Need history of all koa canoes before the end of the year for the state – Jeb will put together
  • Need list of people of CPR, first aid, emergency medical certifications in the club turned into Moku by end of year and annually moving forward – Add to membership form, ask Moku to place on Moku waivers – Jennifer to send email for current list, Jim/Michelle to add to membership form, Michael recommended paddling coordinators and coaches become certified – Kim will look into, Jim/Kim will ask HCRA website to add
  • New waivers next year will be January to December instead of April to March
  • Must report to Moku our designated race site parameters – Michael / Jim will provide (shoreline and beach)
  • Moku is taking nominations for their new board, send to Auntie Maile or Mike Atwood
  • Looking for someone to take over updating Moku website, Kyle will email Jim or Kim proposal (www.mokuohawaii.org)
  • Tui Tonga has disbanded, a group from Milili (Ha’a Pono Milili) petitioning to start a canoe club, they are hosting an ocean festival day Nov 15, with Oc1, Oc2, 6 man, sup
  • Insurance due Nov 22nd also the annual meeting where race rules will be voted on and election for officers held
  • HCRA state meeting is at King Kam on December 6

 

Equipment Report:

  • OC1 Rack Design – Mike, Harold, Daniel, and Ted
    • Daniel has negotiated w/Waikoloa Plumbing to donate his time to cut the pipes as charitable contribution, needs receipt, will do this weekend or the following and then will paint and assemble
    • Need to number spaces
    • Daniel will notify Jim of time to send email to OC1 rack lessees on installation date. 
  • Ho’omaluō  Iakos; Doug had measured in April.  Wood still in strips.  Jim will continue to follow up
  • Koa Inventory- On hold with Bill (200 board feet with 2” thick)
  • Equipment Manager; Harold & committee
    • Canoe covers
      • Storage covers for the new canoes have been ordered, sent $900 check, purple is longer order time so a few more weeks
      • Beth is back and received her order to begin making for Kama O Kalani, J4, J1, J5
    • Spray skirts for Mirages – Daniel followed up on new company North Water, that Kihei has been using, need to be higher, but they are cooler, they can make higher for about $2000 including shipping.  Motion to purchase 1 to try out by Michelle.  Unanimously approved.
  • Ric has placed order information in the book at the beach for consolidated paddle order.  Ric will send an email including website on information to Jennifer to forward to club for a consolidated paddle order for paddlers looking to order a paddle.  Need 5 – 10 minimum.  Look to do one now due in 2 weeks and again in February.
  • Trailer is back, still need to replace a side light and Chris will purchase and replace hooks, will look also at replacing chains.
  • Jim gave Ric the oc4 iakos to give to Mike Eaton to refinish

 

Old Business:

 

Upcoming Events & Fundraisers:

  • Ironman – October 11th, donation to the club is $500, mahalo party afterwards is free
  • Benefact Cosmetics wants a regatta or possibly a leisure paddle likely 6 canoes – January 27th in the afternoon– Jim is working with her
  • September 14 – wedding paddle went really well, donated $500

 

Rash Guard orders, sizes, new design; Lisa

  • Keep same design, Michelle will work on determining sizes to order
  • Jennifer and Lisa will re-take inventory, 3rd weekend of October

 

Code of Conduct and By-Laws

  • Ric will forward updates to Jennifer for COC in particular on liability and any other areas where liability language is in conflict to the board.  
  • Need to change name of Beach Director to Paddling Coordinator

 

Surf Ski Maintenance

  • No update; Daniel on hold until after the racks

 

Membership Submissions (consolidated membership submissions and paying dues online into one agenda item)

  • Need to make registration form and HRCA an e-form tied to e-payment, possibly download to spread sheet, possible uploading of ID requirements as well
  • See if Michelle can see if possibility to set up from her contact that did our web page
  • Discussion on new members arriving now and paying dues, Michael made a motion for a 4th quarter short term membership for $75 individual, $125 family with all dues and forms due, membership runs October to December, January 1 new dues and paperwork are due.  Jennifer seconded the motion.  Unanimously approved.

 

OC1 Rack space lease terms

  • Ric to consolidate feedback from all and send to board electronically
  • Michelle will provide wait list for the book at the beach

 

Nominations Committee

  • Jennifer to re send DeeAnn’s email
  • November meeting committee will attend with update
  • Jennifer to double check on John Warneke having met requirement to run

 

Annual Meeting Schedule

  • HCRA meeting is on same day as our meeting (Dec 6), our meeting is now 3pm on Dec 6 at A-Bay, Michael will add to the newsletter and Michelle to update via email, web, and facebook
  • Jenn/Jim will create agenda 

 

Head Coach

  • Daniel Legler has put name in for Head Coach
  • Jim will send email out to the club, and run due diligence for additional potential candidates

 

Old t-shirts

  • On hold until inventory is complete, communicate via the monthly newsletter & annual meeting

 

New Business

Coach approved training times

  • Make sure book is signed
  • Safety discussion

 

End of the year party

  • Amy has volunteered the clubhouse at her new condo at colony villas
  • Jenn send email for volunteers for committee
  • Let committee decide on date

 

Meeting adjourned 7:59 PM

  • Next meeting will be November 5, 2014, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dream Properties.