Posted by on Oct 14, 2013 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes – September 11, 2013

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

September 11, 2013

The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on September 11, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.

 

All board members present.  Coach Derek in attendance.  Member Lisa Legler in attendance.

 

President Jim Albone opened the meeting.

 

Acceptance of Previous Minutes

August 7, 2013 meeting minutes approved

 

Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier

  • See P & L Statement and GWCR Statement

 

Coach’s Report:

  • Last Race this weekend
  • Tue/Thur eve 5pm & Sat am paddles will move to rec paddles

 

Moku Update:  Jim Albone

  • Meeting scheduled for Oct 5
  • Jim and Derek to write up the submission for the unlimited canoes to be allowed to have auto bailing systems and race rules for canoe made of koa vs. dug-out
  • Jim will submit a by-laws change on voting, propose to only allow individual club representatives can vote and in case of a tie offices may vote, this will eliminate clubs with a rep and officer receiving 2 votes
  • November meeting will hold the voting

 

Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone

  • OC1 Rack builds and Hale roof; Greg went down Saturday to review the entry of canoes and finalize design / cost.  Will need to notify OC1 rack members they will need to remove canoes temporarily during build.    
  • New Dollie – Doug says wheels are still on order
  • Ho’omaluō Ama / Iakos; Ama by Don Weir, Jim will f/u this week if ready this weekend
  • Finalizing clips for covers for some canoes tomorrow – Derek
  • For November meeting after seeing if Ho’omauluō is approved; Kama O Kalani cracks need repair, discussed previously making hull modifications to make him faster.  If we do the repairs we should consider the hull modifications.  $9,300 cost for hull modifications.  Canoe would have to be water lined again.
  • Need to look  at re-finishing Iakos for Kukini Kai and a few others during off season

 

Old Business:

 

Upcoming Events & Fundraisers: Michael

  • Tuesday, Sept 17th Regatta with Chrysalis, 3 canoes, 9a – 11a, 50 participants; % of Fiji participants will determine % of monies for the Fiji paddles project, asked for some medals for winners
  • Feb 19th and 20th (2 days) with Chrysalis for leisure paddle outs
  • Ironman Oct 12th; 7a – 3p est.  Bike aid station, need 60 volunteers

 

Waikoloa Land Company

  • Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys, Jim will handle and meet with them on the drawings for the Halau  

 

Legal Document for borrowing canoes

  • Keauhou does a $100 deposit with gentleman’s agreement
  • For Liliuo Bo said all canoes on island should be borrowed only by non-Hawaii crews
  • Continue forward with gentleman’s agreement instead of a written document with the instructions with telling the borrowing club any damages are the responsibility of the borrowing club.
  • Michael motion to remove setting a legal document from agenda and move to gentleman’s agreement.  Unanimously approved.

 

Inventory and re-order of rash guards

  • Total cost about $6,500, budgeted previously for about $8,000.  Already been paid, now they are a fixed asset. 
  • Need to re-organize rash guards and shirt
  • Michelle will provide and update pricing at beach

 

Club Needs

  • Majority of members voted for major next purchase to be Ultra-light canoe.  $18,000 cost.  Will review after OC1 racks.

 

Review of Fiji Sister Club Invitation

  • 9 current paddlers with air
  • Indiegogo and Gofundme are online running
  • $800 raised this far from Lava Lava and a donation – Jim f/u on ck  for $400
  • Hotel in Honolulu and Shuttle in Honolulu are comp
  • Michael going to book store for dictionaries
  • Jim email Moku reps for paddle donations
  • Derek thought should take old GWCR shirts for them
  • Michael to email club for donations of paddles and dictionaries
  • Michael will review steak fry and car wash
  • Cheri working on Steak Sale

 

New Website

  • Not up yet, but will be up this week

GWCR Follow Up

  • 20% to ACS includes; $20 per crew at 54 crews is $1080 + $82 cash earmarked to ACS donation
  • Michael motion that we donate the 20% and round up to $1500 to ACS.  Unanimously approved.

 

New Business:

 

  • Makana I Ke Kai needs refinishing.  Derek would like to modify canoe to close off front and rear bulkheads.  Non-Traditional and Unlimited classes do not have to have open bulkheads.  Derek will get cost estimate by next board meeting.
  • Need to log all future potential equipment project costs so we know what to work toward over the next year.
  • Derek email regarding Odie’s customer wanting to buy a used Bradley for close to full price (J5-Kanelike) including ama / iakos & spray skirt.  We could then buy a new Bradley for low additional monies.  Derek will find out if the offer is still on the table and advise.
  • Discussion on potential selling of remaining Koa wood to fund a new canoe.  Need to inventory, review storage, and determine value.  Essentially we spent $5800 to mill.  Currently it is $25 per board foot and up.  Agree we all want to see the wood used for another canoe.  Jim will review with Bill.
  • Waiver Book – Jim placed a new waiver book at the beach on Saturday, Bruce didn’t see Tuesday, suggestion to put a holder on inside of the Halau
  • Jim to send email out again to remind club members to attend 2 board meetings to run next year

 

Meeting adjourned 7:48 PM

Next meeting October 2, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams.