Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Sept. 7, 2016
The meeting convened at 6:05 PM on Sept. 7, 2016 at the Waikoloa Village Association conference room.
Acting secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes: Rami Ring
Board members present: Lisa Legler, Aron Risley, Mike Bernstone, Bob Risley, Jim Albone, Steve Columbo, Guy Davis, Rami Ring
Board members absent: none
Head coach Bob Risley present.
Members in attendance: Daniel Legler, Mac Amos, John Ciambrone, Lyle Cabacungan, Randy Ring
President Lisa Legler opened the meeting.
Previous meeting minutes
- Aron motions to approve with changes, Jim seconds
Treasurer’s Report (Mike)
- Tires for trailer were purchased, cost was under $500
- Expecting more money for koa restoration, not shown on report yet
- Hawaiian Dream Properties made a donation of $800 for Pailolo race.
Coach’s Report (Bob)
- 3 crews entered in Liliuokalani race, 1 double hull on Sunday
- Canoes all back to A Bay safely after Liliuokalani race
- Santa Barbara crew borrowed a canoe, and made a $300 donation to Waikoloa
- Pailolo Challenge coming up, 1 men’s crew currently practicing for race
- The possibility of taking canoes via trailer to Kawaihae for a 2-tier Ohana practice (AM & PM) was brought up
Kama O Kalani repair (Daniel)
- Should be completed by Christmas
- Blessing and ceremony to be planned upon completion
Equipment Report (Guy)
- Tires for trailer have been purchased
- Need to purchase 2 or 3 steering blades
- Wrap is gouged on Kukinikai (J6), after season Lisa will call to have it repaired. Ama also needs professional repair and paint after Pailolo
- Bob & Steve to coordinate fixing of the iakos, fiberglass top & sides only
- Trailer needs to be refinished (sand blasted), need to know cost on 40’ trailer
Fundraisers (Jim & John)
- Goal has been met and exceeded by $61
- Lisa has been approached by Malibu Shirts for an agreement to produce & sell WCC t-shirts for a royalty of 5% of the net retail price of shirts sold. Jim motions to accept, all in favor
- By laws committee update
- Aron to establish e-mail account email@example.com by Sat. to solicit comments on by laws, with auto forward to Mac, John and Amy
- Off-island race policy
- Club to give Jim a check for $520 for admission fee for Pailolo, Steve makes a motion to allocate the crew the remainder of $750 previously approved ($230) for other expected expenses for Pailolo Challenge. Aron and Rami approve. Mike, Jim and Bob abstain. Guy opposes.
- Bob continues to work on rules & guidelines for off-island race policy. Budget for policy needs to be also established
- Jim requests approval to loan out a canoe to a women’s crew for return trip back to Waikoloa from Molokai after Pailolo Challenge. Steve motions to approve the loaning of the canoe, Aron seconds. Mike & Rami approve, Jim & Bob abstain, Guy opposes.
- Currently communication with all club members are done through hcra website, but not all members are receiving notices. Mike & Aron to make membership list & add to google drive, to alleviate this problem.
- Resignation & reassignment of secretary
- Kyle Combes turned in his resignation via e-mail, see attached
- Lisa nominated Rami Ring for secretary, approved by all
- Advertising for 2017 coaching position
- As of October 1, Jim to do a press release in short hops, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for new racing coach
- Accounting for canoe fees from Queen Liliuokalani race
- 2 crews had their fees waived, 1 crew paid fee. In an effort to enforce fairness in the future, crews need to enter races through the head coach.
- Kawaihae has agreed to extend Ohana paddling privileges for a $50 membership fee. Practices to be 6 AM on Mon, Wed, Fri, based on availability of experienced personnel to oversee canoes. Offer is valid until the end of the year.
Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2016 6:00 PM in the WVA conference room.
Meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM.