Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Note: These minutes were amended to provide clarity for how Ho‘omaluo was damaged and to note the contingency of the Kama O Kalani repair motion.
The meeting convened at 6:04 PM on October 7, 2015, at the Waikoloa Village Association conference room.
Secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes: Kyle Combes
Board members present: Harold van Doren (via phone), Jim Albone, Lisa Legler, Kyle Combes, Mike Bernstone, Chris Nilsen, Ted Cassinelli
Board members absent: Mike Chinquee
Head coach Daniel Legler present.
Members in attendance: Guy Davis, Vicki Serrao
Vice President Ted Cassinelli opened the meeting.
Previous meeting minutes
- Jim motions to approve minutes. Unanimous approval.
- No report (computer issues). No big changes. Will send out report once computer is working.
- Monday & Wednesday one-man practices at 4:45
- ʻOhana in mornings still sending 2-3 boats out regularly
- 50s men and women arranging off-season practices to work as crews
- Kyle will update practice schedule to say:
- practices are off-season practices
- morning practices have been moved back to 8am
- Thursday is “team day” (racing crew off-season practice)
- evening practices harder, workout
Equipment report (Daniel)
- Guy will build display case
- Daniel will repair iakos, will save club money
- Will take M2 and Bradley into Mike Akizawa, repair dings and fiberglass
- Also recommends not use Bradley during off-season
- Lisa: keiki paddles need some work (sanding, varnish, tape, etc.)
- Dollies being repaired
- Kama O Kalani:
- Bill Rosehill: $25,000, includes koa, will replace all small strips with larger ones
- Doug: $40,000 plus cost of koa (Daniel estimates additional $10k)
- Jim motions to have Bill Rosehill repair Kama O Kalani for $25,000. Mike B. 2nds.
- Payment will be split into thirds
- Concern: missing koa from Bill, where is it? — Daniel will ask Bill; repair plan will contingent on Bill providing a satisfactory answer
- Concern: strip koa (Ho‘omaluo) hasn’t held up very well. Daniel: canoe has been left in weather, sustained damage during accident
- Amended: Jim motions to have Bill Rosehill repair Kama O Kalani for $25,000, with the stipulation that he provide ahead of time a written agreement detailing what will be repaired and at what cost.
- Vote: 5 in favor, 1 opposed; motion passed
- Created new Facebook account under the name of Waikoloa Canoe Club
- Chris will try to add note that we are a 501(c)3
- Mike Bernstone makes motion to approve new Facebook profile. Unanimous approval.
- Gained access to domain registrar account, in process of transferring to club account
- Don’t want to have club website updated right now, spending enough money on canoes
Fund Raising (Jim)
- Ted will talk to John Ciambrone, say we’re trying to raise $30-35k
- Long-time club members (steerspersons especially) need to buy their own paddles
Family Paddle Day (Lisa)
- Wants to have a family paddle day once a month – first Saturday?
All club updates will be sent to Harold by October 17to be compiled into one email and distributed.
Kyle requested all inventory reports, written agreements, etc, be sent to him when received or created to be included in the club records.
- Date set for December 12 at 10:00am-12:00pm
- Lisa will see if Waikoloa Village Association Community Room is available
- Kyle will send out list of members eligible (or nearly so) for election, notice of annual meeting
MOKU Report (Lisa)
- Reduced allowed alignment discrepancies for turning flags
- Strip koas: old strip canoes were made of wider strips (8”+)
- Discussed remainder of bylaws. Need to pass by Mac.
Next meeting scheduled for November 4 at 6:00pm at Waikoloa Village Association conference room.
Meeting adjourned 7:44pm.