Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
November 6, 2013
The meeting convened at 6:31 PM on November 6, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present. Coach Derek absent.
Members in attendance; Mike ChinQuee, Marcie Davis, Guy Davis, Mike Goyette, Jeb Goss, David Clark, Bitsy Bowman, Ric Rapp
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
October 2, 2013 meeting minutes approved by all
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- See P & L Statement
- No updates
Moku Update: Jim Albone
- Race Rules and By-Law changes meeting will be on the 23rd, Proposals include voting by Moku board eliminated, Koa canoe, and auto bailers for unlimited canoes
Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone
- OC1 Rack builds and Hale roof; Bruce provided drawings by Greg Erickson. Cost $5-$6k materials and labor. Greg will provide final price then build. Motion by Michelle to move forward with Greg’s plan as long as the final bid does not exceed $6k. Unanimously approved. Will need to notify OC1 rack members they will need to remove canoes temporarily during build. Michelle will send copies of the plans to the membership.
- New Dollie – Doug says wheels are in, Jim will f/u
- Ho’omaluō Ama / Iakos; Ama has been delivered. Need final measurements for Iakos, on hold for moment.
- For December meeting after seeing if Ho’omauluō is approved; Kama O Kalani cracks need repair, discussed previously making hull modifications to make him faster. If we do the repairs we should consider the hull modifications. $9,300 cost for hull modifications. Canoe would have to be water lined again. Bill doesn’t have a spot to do this yet.
- Need to look at re-finishing Iakos and Ama for Kukini Kai and a few others during off season. Awaiting for Bill to finish move.
- Derek has the old Dollie to refinish – Jim will f/u on progress
Upcoming Events & Fundraisers: Michael
- Feb 19th and 20th (2 days) with Chrysalis for leisure paddle outs
- May 1st with Chrysalis potential event for 12 canoes, Jim has discussed with Bill Rosehill and Ira and they are willing to participate
- Ironman Mahalo Party, we received “Most Organized Station” received an extra $300 on top of the $500
- Halau roof extension, current build would need more modification due to length and width, Place project on hold until after completion of OC1 racks or 1st of the year
- Majority of members voted for major next purchase to be Ultra-light canoe. $18,000 cost. Will review after OC1 racks.
Review of Fiji Paddle
- Departing Saturday
- Upon return need to be sure to send thank you’s and update Facebook etc.
- Bring gifts for Derrick and Natalie, Junior, and Club President
- Work with Lillian on YouTube integration
Makana I Ke Kai Bulkheads
- On hold
Review of Koa inventory, storage, value – Jim
- On hold – Bill is still unsettled
End of Year Club Party
- Saturday November 23rd at Michael Landers House
P&L Statement Detail
- Michelle sent to Ric
OC1 Rack Design
- Michelle will post and send out to the club
Absentee Voting (electronic) for this year’s Annual Meeting
- Current By-Laws do not allow electronic voting for the annual meeting
- Jim will check if we can do a resolution to the By-Laws before the annual meeting to allow electronic
- Jennifer will send email to all members having attended 2 BOD meetings for interest in running for next year’s board
- Michelle will send one more reminder on requirement to attend 2 BOD meetings this year to be eligible to run for 2014 board
- Michael motion to hold our Annual Meeting at A-Bay on Saturday, January 25, 2014 at 10am. Unanimously approved.
Annual Training on Huli’s
- Request from member to make it a practice all crews, all perform Huli drills each season signed off by coach and again before long distance season particularly a practice with a spray skirt
- Michael has written process of Huli procedures, update and add to website and book at rec
- Canoes haven’t been sticking together and need to follow the safety rules
- Jim will address
- Recap email from WLC, Marty sent information and forwarded to WLC
Petition for Keahou Bay
- Passed around for those that want to sign
Meeting adjourned 7:30 PM
Next meeting December 4, 2013, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams.