Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
May 28, 2014
The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on May 28, 2014, at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present except Ric Rapp and Michelle Gautier
Coach Jeb Goss absent.
Members in attendance; Daniel Legler, Bob Risley, Aron Risley
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
May 7, 2014 meeting minutes approved.
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- See P & L Statement; Ocean Sports check received.
- $6k has been received from Parker School.
- The 50% payment ($12k) has been sent for the new canoes and is reflected in current asset accounts.
- Mike requested a line item for the keiki rash guards since this is an annual expense. Michelle to create line expense.
- Lisa will update list of active members in Rec binder in Ric’s absence
Coach’s Report: Jeb Goss
- Jeb absent
- Kim is running the am practices
- Jeb told Jim last weekend that we would not be sending crew this weekend to the long distance race. Jennifer motion to send $120 to hosting club for not attending their race. Lisa 2nd. Unanimously approved.
Moku Update: Kim Pratt
- No Moku meetings until September
- OC1 Rack Design – Harold, Daniel, and Ted
- Color has been approved by WLC. Daniel will go to Home Depot and arrange a will call order for Jim to pay for and Daniel will pick up.
- Need to number spaces as well.
- Ho’omaluō Iakos; Measurements taken at canoe weighing, waiting on being made.
- Koa Inventory- On hold (200 board feet)
- Makana I Ke Kai bulk heads/refinishing; Canoe is with Bill, sanding is done, Bill building bulkheads
- Sand in canoes – Remind everyone to keep sand out of the canoes when getting in, Michael will add to the newsletter
- Sale of canoes to Parker – Check received, we will hold onto canoes until 2 new ones arrive.
- New canoes color – 5 votes for #1 design as sent via email to Jim, 1 vote for #2 design. Jim ordered #1 design. Jim will email and ask if they are placing the M2 logo on canoe.
- Equipment Manager; Harold & committee
- J5 is unrigged- Daniel needs trailer to transport. Harold will remove the track.
- Review of other canoes – Harold looked over the other canoes no other work at this time.
- Paddle refinishing is complete, still need taping Lisa will look to complete after Sunday paddle with members there
- Bob Risley does not have a shed key – Harold will get Bob a key
- Canoe covers on hold until Beth returns
- Paddle Inventory – Derek provided wish list of 28 paddles in 8 different sizes, Lisa will order based on Ric’s pricing at $55 ea for keiki paddles for 3-32”, 3-34”, 3-35”, 3-40”and 1 each of the 1-42’, 1-43”, 1-44”, 1-45”for 16 total paddles. Michael motion to order 16 total keiki paddles at a cost no more than $60 per paddle excluding shipping from Mudbrook. Lisa 2nd. Unanimously approved. Jim to fwd Ric’s contact email to Lisa to order.
Upcoming Events & Fundraisers:
- May 31st Honu Triathalon, 2 stations, adults station 6a-10a on road by Hapuna, keiki on the run station 9a-3p
- June 15th and 19th Panache request for 200 people is confirmed for leisure paddle outs, 4 glass canoes each day. Time 11 am both days to 2:30pm. $7,200 donation.
- Halau roof extension, On hold
Fiji Paddle Display at Lava Lava
- Jeb talked to Nick and they are looking at building a case for at Lava Lava
Rash Guard orders, sizes, new design; Lisa
- Lisa inventoried most inventory, most is large/xlarge, need smalls/mediums, will finish inventory this weekend
- Ted will send Lisa on suppliers
Code of Conduct and By-Laws
- Ric will forward updates to COC in particular on liability and any other areas where liability language is in conflict to the board.
- Code of Conduct discussion and Board Integrity
- After meeting we will have an executive session of board members only
- Paddle Directors Meeting;
- Lisa send email to paddling directors, coaches, substitute paddle directors with Jim next week, will await until Ted returns to hold meeting, Harold can conference in.
- Ric back June 10
- Ted gone June 10 to July 22
- Harold gone June 11 to end of September
- With Marty and Lucy gone, Lisa is doing Sundays, Ed is doing Thursdays, Jim will do June 10 Tuesday
Surf Ski Maintenance
- Daniel will fix it and we will donate to kids club in Kona
Paying Dues online 2015 and beyond
- On Hold – Michelle is working on getting pay pal up and running
OC1 Rack space lease terms
- Mike requested to be able to pay rack dues online, Michelle to review options
- Board to review Ric’s proposed changes to the lease form by the next board meeting.
GWCR committee; shirt design
- Michael will send to Mua to offer a few designs.
- Ric will send Michelle list of categories requested
Keiki Rash guards
- Michelle ordered last week.
Finalizing all membership submissions
- Iris and Dee Ann are handling finalizing keiki paperwork/photos
- Jennifer will email remaining adults including Rec for 2014 waivers
- Ric had volunteered to take rec photos previously
Meeting adjourned 7:43 PM
Next meeting will be July 2, 2014, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams Realty Offi