Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Mar. 1, 2017
The meeting convened at 6:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2017 at the Waikoloa Village Association community meeting room.
Secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes: Rami Ring
Board members present: Lisa Legler, Jim Albone, Guy Davis, Steve Columbo, John Ciambrone, Mike Chin-Quee, Phillip Beasley, Rami Ring
Head Coach Ed Teixeira present
Board members absent: Lyle Cabacungan
Other members present: Daniel Legler, Kalani Kaili, Randy Ring
President Lisa Legler opened the meeting.
- Jim motioned to approve minutes from last month with changes, Steve seconds, all approve
- Treasurer’s Report (Phillip)
- Final payment for Koa restoration project has been made, depleting the restricted savings account.
- Jim makes a motion to leave $10,000 in the checking account, move $5000 into the restricted savings for unforeseen expenses, and move the rest to savings. Steve seconds, all approve.
- There is $3500 of pledge money yet to be billed & collected. That money will go into restricted savings.
- Phillip is facing resistance and lack of response from members/guests not wanting to sign waiver.
- Coach’s Report (Ed)
- Practice is going well, working on power at this moment. Speed drills to follow. Looking at mid March for early morning practice, trying to feel out interest. Note that early morning practice is not for Ohana paddling, but working out.
- Aron Risley has been approached for Junior Asst. Coach. Mike CQ & Julie Baretto has been approached for training coordinators.
- Kama O Ka Lani waterline test is scheduled for Saturday.
- Phillip makes a motion to allow Coach Ed to use his discretion in reducing or waiving the junior program fee of $50, Jim seconds, all approve.
- Coach Ed would like to include a rash guard for every junior paddler.
- Moku Report (Lisa)
- Mar. 18 is next meeting, racing schedule will come out then.
- April 15 is coaches/officials meeting. All coaches, asst. Coaches and anyone wanting to be an official need to attend meeting.
- New race presented by Jerome Kanuha on Aug. 12, Anaehoomalu Bay to Keauhou (32 miles), only open crews, same day as HeiHei race. He feels this would alleviate the need to go off island to qualify for Molokai race, (participation in 30 mile race necessary to qualify).
- Kamehameha has started 14-18 age group.
- Equipment Report (Steve)
- The finish on the newly refurbished Kama O Ka Lani is experiencing some problems. Members of the board will discuss with Doug Bumatay. Ed will make the final decision on how that will be handled.
- Guy & Steve worked on original Kama O Ka Lani ama, damage is quite extensive, very labor intensive. Guy & Steve will give us an update next month.
- Steve has built the new stands for canoes. Thank you, Steve!
- Weight fell out of one of the mirages and needs to be re fiberglassed.
- Mike CQ makes a motion to donate old ama (banana ama) to Coach Ed, Phillip seconds, approved by all.
- Lavaman (Phillip)- still needs help on Sunday.
- Great Waikoloa Canoe Race
- Lisa has proposal for band, cost is $600 for 3 hours
- Committee- Lisa, Ed, Guy, John, Steve, Mike CQ, so far. After paddling practice on Sat., 3/25 the committee will meet.
- John has prepared a letter to submit to Marriott for food donations, tables & chairs. After making changes he will work on final draft to be presented.
- Suggestions of other fundraising opportunities brought up by Coach Ed
- Junior scholarship program
- Storage for canoes, possibly halaus
- Moving base of club, John to talk to Waikoloa Land Co.
- Unfinished business
- New dollies $1200/ea- Jim makes a motion to buy 2 new dollies, Steve seconds, all approve
- John brings up the point that a budget needs to be established before decision on rules for off-island race can be decided on. This will be discussed next month.
- New Business
- Apparel sales- Jim makes a motion to allow Lisa a budget of $2500 to buy 10 dozen rash guards for juniors & for general sale. Steve seconds, motion. All approve. Lisa and Rami will approve rash guard quality prior to ordering.
Next meeting will be on Wed., April 5, 2017 at 6:00 PM in the WVA conference room.
Rami motions to adjourn, Mike CQ seconds, Meeting adjourned at 8:23 PM.