Posted by on Jul 7, 2016 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes: June 1, 2016

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

The meeting convened at 6:01 PM on June 1, 2016, at the Waikoloa Village Association conference room.

Secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes: Kyle Combes

Board members present: Lisa Legler, Aron Risley, Kyle Combes, Bob Risley, Jim Albone, Guy Davis, Steve Columbo

Board members absent: Mike Bernstone

Head coach Bob Risley present.

Members in attendance: Jennifer Bolstad, Randy Ring, Michelle Gautier, Mac Amos, Daniel Legler, Kalani Kaili, Chris Young, Jun Balanga, Robert & Ilima Ching

President Lisa Legler opened the meeting.

Previous meeting minutes

  • Jim motions to accept minutes. Unanimous approval.

Coach’s Report (Bob)

  • Aron motions to appoint Daniel advisor to the board. Unanimous approval.

Filling Board Vacancy

  • Aron motions to appoint Rami Ring to the Board of Directors. Unanimous approval.

Coach’s Report (Bob)

  • Last regatta took second place in B division

  • J1 has some wear damage along gunnel, wood core beginning to be exposed; need to take out of rotation

  • Jim motions to send a check for two crews to Waiakea, even though not participating in race (donation). Unanimous approval.

Kama O Kalani (Daniel)

  • Found more damage in rear (email sent out 2 weeks ago), worn down to be extremely thin. Mostly repaired by now.

Equipment Report (Guy)

  • Will check on J1 in the morning

  • Half-glassed amas delaminating

  • Another ama damaged in collision with stick buoy

Fundraisers (Jim)

  • Nothing

  • Lisa: $1,300 check for Lavaman

  • John Ciambrone: $27,960 to date (69.9%)

    • People asking how the canoe will be cared for after repairs

    • Need plan for proper saddles and a new hale, or at least a way to keep people off the roof. Steve and Guy will present plan at next board meeting. Saddles will be the priority.

Great Waikoloa Canoe Race (Lisa)

  • Applied for right of entry permit, WLC shutting down beach end of June through end of August from Lava Lava to Ocean Sports from 7am to 5pm daily. Can’t get permit for GWCR because too close to construction schedule.

    • All OC1s must be set up inside rock wall to avoid impeding trucks’ paths.

  • Possible venues for GWCR:

    • Surf Park/Kawaihae

  • (Practice at Fairmont Orchid?)

  • Food:

    • Lava Lava out since not at A-Bay

    • Three Fat Pigs interested, Aron will talk to Chef Ippy upon his return

    • Jenn could potentially get food from Hilton

  • Medals: Need more

Bylaws (Mac)

  • Cannot suspend bylaws

    • Bob makes a motion to repeal the motion to suspend Article IV section 4.04 from last meeting’s minutes. Unanimous approval.

  • Will forget idea of term limits

Canoe for Hilo Regattas (Jim)

  • Can use Waiakea’s canoe instead of Keahou’s

  • Bob will talk to crews, decide if we want to switch canoes

Off-Island Races (Bob)

  • Do we want to reserve places for off-island races?

  • Bob will find out how many people want to race, determine how many spots we should reserve. Possibly vote on by email.

Keiki Paddle Camp (Lisa)

  • No keiki practices once beach construction begins

  • Maybe next year

Water Spigots

  • Leaking, puddles on ground

  • Bob will coordinate with Jim to pick up correct quarter-turn ball valves. Guy will install.

Next meeting scheduled for Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM at Waikoloa Village Association conference room.

Meeting adjourned 7:15 PM.