Posted by on Oct 14, 2014 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes – July 2, 2014

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

July 2, 2014

The meeting convened at 6:36 PM on July 2, 2014, at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.

 

All board members present except Lisa Legler and Ted Cassinelli

Harold Van Doren attended via conference call

Coach Jeb Goss absent

Members in attendance; Bob Risley, Aron Risley

 

President Jim Albone opened the meeting.

 

Acceptance of Previous Minutes

May 28, 2014 meeting minutes approved.  Ric abstain due to absence at last meeting.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier

  • See P & L Statement; Panache event still  owes $1,800
  • Michelle will email Harold copy of financials
  • Remaining payment for new canoes will be about $12k

 

Coach’s Report: Jeb Goss

  • Jeb absent

 

Moku Update: Kim Pratt

  • No Moku meetings  until September

 

Equipment Report:

  • OC1 Rack Design – Mike, Harold, Daniel, and Ted
    • Jim talked with Daniel, Home Depot will be making a construction proposal, no further updates 
    • Need to number spaces
  • Ho’omaluō  Iakos; Doug said ready end of July, Jim will double check Saturday
  • Koa Inventory- On hold (200 board feet)
  • Makana I Ke Kai bulk heads/refinishing; Canoe has been completed.  Aron took out Tuesday morning; didn’t see leaks but need to huli it to test bulkheads, auto bailers, sealing with Jeb
  • New canoes timeline; First canoe is out of the mold now, starting on second one, still on track for 2 to 3 weeks for shipping.  Amas are finished, purple and white.  Will send pictures.  Jim will email and ask if they are placing the M2 logo on canoe.  Michael put to the club for names, 1 so far; Kailani which means Heavenly Seas.  Michael will put together options with translations out to the club.  Jim will check on whether we are putting J2 and J3 back on them or if we must do J7 and J8.  Also need to have covers made for each canoe and one spray skirt at a minimum.       
  • Equipment Manager; Harold & committee
    • J5 Hull repair; Need to remove rails.  Ric will call for who can do repair soon. 
    • J3 Ama repair; Mike said should be ready will pick up next week and take J5’s Iakos to be refinished/repaired
    • Paddle refinishing is complete, still need more taping of the new paddles, at races this weekend will tape paddles there and remaining on Sunday have rec tape the rest.
    • Mike mentioned some paddlers are not taping the carbon fiber blades, Michael will add to newsletter and Jim will re-iterate in a club email.
    • Canoe covers on hold until Beth returns
  • Paddle Inventory; Still waiting on the Keiki order, supposed to be shipped within a week. 
  • Ric mentioned many paddle makers are manufacturing with a special edging now at P3, we might look at doing this ($7 per paddled) in future orders. 
  • Add to the newsletter that the club blades the club pays for both new and maintenance and how to take care of the paddles and not hitting the canoes, putting in sand etc.

 

Old Business:

 

Upcoming Events & Fundraisers:

  • Ironman on the books for October,  Jennifer will take over as site manager, Michael was promoted to a coordinator on the pier
  • Chrysalis is inquiring about a September event

 

WLC

  • Halau roof extension was on hold, likely not going to happen, drop from agenda moving forward.

Fiji Paddle Display at Lava Lava

  • Waiting on Nick as they are building a case for at Lava Lava

 

Rash Guard orders, sizes, new design; Lisa

  • Keep same design, Michelle will work on determining sizes to order. Michelle will f/u with Lisa on inventory.

 

Code of Conduct and By-Laws

  • Ric will forward updates to COC in particular on liability and any other areas where liability language is in conflict to the board.
  • Paddle Directors Meeting;
    • Request for Ed Teixtera to take over Thursdays Rec paddle.  Mike motion to approve Ed as Thursday Recreation Paddle Director.  Ric second.   Mike will send Ed Code of Conduct.  Approved by vote of 5 to 1.
    • Paddle directors meeting will be after Ted returns July 22

 

 

Surf Ski Maintenance

  • No update; Daniel will fix it and we will donate to kids club in Kona

 

Paying Dues online 2015 and beyond

  • On Hold – Michelle is working on getting pay pal up and running

 

OC1 Rack space lease terms

  • Mike requested to be able to pay rack dues online, Michelle reviewing options
  • Ric will re-write fees section of rack agreement and re-send to board
  • Michelle will see if we can add the wait list online

 

GWCR committee;

  • 25th Annual GWCR Race!
  • Michael passed around the logo for the shirt, 2 different shirts, one heather grey/blue mens, ladies with womens cut purple shirt, order is in
  • 10 mile +/- race determined the day of
  • Looking to do a few additional shirts specific for retail (tanks, others) as we are only ordering actual race shirts specific for the crews, potentially do pareo’s (limited to about 20), Mike asked about hats
  • Awards mock up, koa wood paddles w/WCC on one side and GWCR engraved on other side.
  • Need escort boats; Blue Wilderness offered, need to contact, Andy said yes if boat is finished, need minimum 1 more at least and see if Jun will do JetSkisJim will ask his handyman.

 

Financials

  • Ric will bring his category report for next meeting review. 

 

Finalizing all membership submissions

  • Jennifer will email remaining adults including Rec for 2014 waivers
  • Ric had volunteered to take rec photos previously
  • Jim will ask to get the new year HCRA waiver earlier for 2015

 

New Business

 

None

 

Meeting adjourned 7:52 PM

  • Next meeting will be August 6, 2014, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams Realty Office.