Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
July 10, 2013
The meeting convened at 6:35 PM on July 10, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present except Michael Landers & Bruce Banick. Mike CQ and Coach Derek in attendance.
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
June 5, 2013 meeting minutes approved
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- When opening Quick Books, an error caused issues in coding, rectifying with balancing check book.
- See P&L statement, error postings are under misc.
- $7k flagged for rash guard orders
- Michelle will review earmark funds for GWCR
- 2 Regatta’s left, working on beginning to focus on long distance
- Discussion on long distance crews
- Lili race – renting of canoes, Mike Atwood said there will be comping of canoes for race for renting canoes
- Discussion on the document for loaning canoes – Derek will ask Mike Atwood
Moku Update: Jim Albone
- No meetings this month
- Jim will put forward a change to the by-laws to allow 1 vote per club only, currently the board also votes giving some clubs more than one vote. For a tie proposing the board as a whole votes for the tie-breaking vote.
- Club will propose to allow auto bailing systems in unlimited division.
- Check our Trade Name filing each year (WCC Inc. dba Waikoloa Canoe Club) – Bruce did f/u and we are filed.
Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone
- OC1 Rack builds and Halau roof; Jim received email from WLC saying we don’t need approval to replace OC1 racks. Greg Erickson reviewed designs and materials. Bruce will take over following up on project for Jim.
- Old Dollie refinishing, Derek talking to Doug on Saturday for timeline on new dollie, once received Derek will refinish old dollie
- Ho’omaluō Ama / Iakos; Ama is on order, once completed will move forward with Iakos. (Ama by Don Weir). Derek testing where to place Iakos.
- 2 Ama’s are in for repair should be back this week. Need to do 2 more.
- Off season need to send Kuakini Kai’s Iakos to be re-finished and full maintenance on Makani I Ke Kai
- Spray skirt for Makani being repaired.
- Jim mentioned the payment for damages to Koa canoes. Discussion. Michelle motion to reimburse Jim for Koa repairs of $843. Jennifer 2nd. Unanimously approved. Quote from Bill for potential re-shaping of Kama O’Kalani to run faster, $9,360. Something to think about for the future.
Upcoming Events: Jim
- Sept 17th Regatta with Chrysalis, need to get contract
- Derek follow up with Hospital on the donation for Dollie – done and check received
Waikoloa Land Company
- Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle and meet with them on the drawings for the Halau
- Indiegogo.com: possible use for Fiji Race
- Lava Lava Event for Fiji Race, Jim sent email for more info
Legal Document for borrowing canoes
- No updates, Michelle will follow up
Inventory and re-order of rash guards
- Done trying to use Ocean Outfitters. Big Island Ink options now, Michelle will pull mock ups. Will ask about shorts. Maybe consider paddle pants with print next year.
- Derek quote for used Ultra-light canoe was $16,000 included canoe, iakos, ama, spray skirt and new paint job. No damages. Used 3 days at Olamau and returned to Odie. Derek will see if we can try the canoe. Derek asked if he would be open to a payment plan, $10k down, $2k for next 3 months. Jim asked if he might be open to $8k down and $2k next 4 months. ($17,000 for longer plan as interest and painting).
- Bruce, Ted, and Matt Cross leading for August and September. Need to receive paddle expectations. Michelle to send the paddling regulations to them.
- Shirts – Do white T shirts, design on back. Mountains on front w/WCC logo and sword of hope
- Hilton food – Pasta, salad
- Band – Pasa and the Gang
- Derek would like to add an OC-3 division – cannot run in Moku sanctioned race
- Generator we have (Jim) and PA use band set up
- Escort Boats – Derek has 1 locked up, Kenny. Andy would for $500 as he will have to hire a captain. Trying Jun at Hulakai as well. Jim to ask John Makoff and his neighbors. Gas reimbursement per boat averages $150. See if Jeb has any other contacts.
- Donation letters – do we have these done to give to members to find donations-Michael
- Keiki race, Derek would like to have a separate keiki race on another day in the year.
Review of Fiji Sister Club Invitation
- 7 current paddlers with air
- Jim f/u with Derrick on race entry fee
- Jim recommended we review keiki paddle inventory at end of season and set aside an order for new paddles next year and donate decommissioned refinished inventory. Review request for donations from Gillespie, Mudbrook, Odie, others.
- Figure out first what donations have been collected then work on what WCC can donate.
- Michelle sent out the estimate from Technology Aloha $864.61, takes 3-5 weeks. Current web hosting is $77 a year. Look at moving this as well to a less expensive option. Michelle motion to move forward with Tech Aloha and Word Press and rebuild WCC website. Jennifer 2nd. Unanimously approved.
- Ultra – Light Canoe, Odie’s new offer of $8k down and $2k per month for 4 months for total of $17k offer. Discussion. Current priority is OC-1 racks. Board will hold off on vote or decision until next meeting.
Meeting adjourned 8:26 PM
Next meeting August 7th, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams.