Posted by on Feb 9, 2014 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes – January 8, 2013

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

January 8, 2014

The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on January 8, 2014, at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.

 

All board members present except Bruce Banick

Coach Derek attended start of meeting but departed after coaches report

Members in attendance; Mike CQ, Harold Van Doren, Jeb Goss, Johanna Kim, Bitsy Bowman, Ric Rapp, Daniel Legler, Lisa Legler

 

President Jim Albone opened the meeting.

 

Acceptance of Previous Minutes

December 4, 2013 meeting minutes approved by all

 

Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier

  • See P & L Statement
  • Follow up on 501c3 maximum funds allowed at year end

 

Coach’s Report:

  • No updates
  • Formally resigned as Head Coach effective now and for next season

 

Moku Update:  Jim Albone

  • No updates
  • Confident with the by-law changes that we will see Koa division revised to made of Koa and be able to run Ho’omaluō in Koa division by next season after the Annual meeting

 

Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone

  • OC1 Rack Design – Harold, Daniel, and Ted, Daniel has submitted design, Bruce had some concerns were length of rack, piping attachments.  Adjustments can be made for Ama length, attachments were explained, Michael move that we approve Daniel’s design to move forward and take design to Rory at WLC.  Approved by 4.  Bruce submitted an electronic “No” vote.   
  • Ho’omaluō  Iakos; Need final measurements for Iakos, on hold for moment, crack in canoe needs to be repaired but Jim needs 5-6 people to help with off-loading.
  • Kama O Kalani Hull Modification (determined not to pursue remove from agenda for next meeting), Bulkheads, Crack repairs for both koa canoes
  • Koa Inventory will be reviewed when taking Ho’omaluō down to Bill
  • Re-finishing Iakos and Ama for Kukini Kai and a few others during off season, wait until we get our other 2 racers back in January.
  • Derek has the old Dollie to refinish – Jim will work on finding status
  • Affirmed Marty’s request to paddle borrowed canoes from Kawaihae to Waikoloa, Marty noted he would take Surf Park’s Ama back.  Unanimously re-affirmed approval for Marty to paddle the canoes back to Waikoloa.

 

Old Business:

 

Upcoming Events & Fundraisers: Michael

  • Feb 19th and 20th (2 days) with Chrysalis for leisure paddle outs (definite)
  • April 2nd Ocean Sports has asked for a group paddle out 4 canoes (no confirmation yet)
  • May 1st with Chrysalis potential event for 12 canoes, Jim has discussed with Bill Rosehill and Ira (Kona Athletic and Waiakea)and they are willing to participate, cannot let them go over 12 total canoes (definite)
  • June 15th and 19th Panache request for 200 people (no confirmation yet)

 

WLC

  • Halau roof extension, current build would need more modification due to length and width, – Jim talked to original builder and he cannot find any way to extend the roof with the existing structure.  Agenda item still needs to be reviewed for structural soundness (on hold retain on agenda)

 

Club Needs

  • Majority of members voted for major next purchase to be Ultra-light canoe.  $18,000 cost.  Will review after OC1 racks. (On hold for future)  (Amended to “Survey” by new board instead of “voted”).

 

Review of Fiji Paddle

  • Crew needs to decide where to put Fijian paddle, possible to hang at Lava Lava, Jim will check with the crew, Michael moved to have Jeb ask to have it displayed at Lava Lava.

 

New Website

  • YouTube Integration, for video uploads to the site if not a user, contact Michelle

 

Makana I Ke Kai Bulkheads

  • On hold until after 2 fiberglass are back in January, need to move item to equipment in next agenda

 

Annual Meeting

  • Electronic Voting Addendum to by-laws.  Jennifer motion to approve the addendum to the by-laws for On Line Voting as stated for the Annual Meeting Ballot.  Unanimously approved.
  • Reviewed the bio’s and tentative ballot

 

New Business

 

Nancy Perry’s OC-1

  • Daniel has not completed yet

 

Kai Wai’s OC-6

  • Derrick stated that the canoe is in use and was fine
  • Remaining Fiji fundraising dollars the Fiji crew will decide disbursement and remaining costs

 

By-Laws and voting discussion

  • Number for votes per family membership
    • Family membership has a vote per adult and children age 18 prior to Annual meeting has a vote
    • Issue is adult family members that are not active members or family members not in the immediate household requesting to vote
    • Not all these additional family members are turning in HCRA paperwork
    • Modify registration form to be “Immediate, Dependent, family members” for a family membership
  • Nominees from same household
    • Minor discussion

 

Coach Resignation

    • Was anyone else approached about being Head Coach?  No one was approached outside of Jeb.
    • Kim asked if Derek might be Assistant Coach and/or Keiki Coach
    • Jeb was hoping to have help from Derek and will need help; Jeb will talk to people and Derek, getting back to the board next week.

 

Nominees Racing Status

  • Previously Racing status paddlers from other clubs have to transfer in order to have the primary status shifted.
  • Lisa will request transfer of status from KOCC tomorrow.
  • Daniel will request transfer of status from KOCC as well.

 

Transparency

  • Johanna requested transparency with board nominees with past board experience with regard to resignations and absences.

 

Meeting adjourned 7:33 PM

  • Next meeting Annual Meeting January 25, 2014, 10 am at A-Bay.