Posted by on Oct 14, 2013 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes – August 7, 2013

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

August 7, 2013

The meeting convened at 6:33 PM on August 7, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.

 

All board members present except Michelle Gautier.  Coach Derek in attendance.  Member Jon Warneke in attendance.

 

President Jim Albone opened the meeting.

 

Acceptance of Previous Minutes

July 10, 2013 meeting minutes approved

 

Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier

  • Absent

 

Coach’s Report:

  • Long Distance now, some new paddles coming down but mostly regatta participants
  • Keauhou requires $100 deposit for borrowing canoes.
  • All Glass canoes on loan or women’s side of Lily, no men’s requests yet

 

Moku Update:  Jim Albone

  • No meetings this month
  • September meeting is normally the meeting for by-laws and race rules changes.

 

Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone

  • OC1 Rack builds and Hale roof; Bruce been reviewing with Greg.  Wood has lasted the last 18 years so it would be less expensive to do wood.  Roof to be possibly chain link to keep branches from falling.  Looking at ways to put ama’s in securely.  Front loading designs.  Greg concerned about extending Hale roof due to the structural integrity.  Greg will have plans drawn up within a week or two for the OC1 racks and be able to get started.  Will need to notify OC1 rack members they will need to remove canoes temporarily during build.    
  • New Dollie – wheels are still on order
  • Ho’omaluō Ama / Iakos; Ama is on order, once completed will move forward with Iakos.  (Ama by Don Weir) – No update.  Derek testing where to place Iakos.
  • J4 will go down Monday this week for left side gunnel split
  • Makana I Ke Kai spray skirt modification has been completed.
  • Cover for Kanelike is ripped need to have repaired and have buckles added to the covers for Makana I Ke Kei and Kama O Kalani
  • Kama O Kalani cracks need repair, discussed previously making hull modifications to make him faster.  If we do the repairs we should consider the hull modifications.  $9,300 cost for hull modifications.  Canoe would have to be water lined again.  Will wait to decide and have cracks work done until November to also see if Ho’omaluō is approved as koa by moku.

 

Old Business:

 

Upcoming Events & Fundraisers: Michael

  • Sept 19th Regatta with Chrysalis, 3 canoes, 50 participants
  • Feb 19th and 20th (2 days) with Chrysalis for leisure paddle outs
  • Ironman Oct 12th; Bike aid station, need 60 volunteers
  • Indiegogo.com- finishing by end of this week
  • Lava Lava Anniversary party August 17th, tickets are $100, 50% of ticket sales to toward WCC for Fiji service donations

 

Waikoloa Land Company

  • Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle and meet with them on the drawings for the Halau  

 

Legal Document for borrowing canoes

  • No updates, Michelle will follow up

 

Inventory and re-order of rash guards

  • Michelle to follow upon return.  Big Island Ink options now, Michelle will pull mock ups.  Will ask about shorts.  Maybe consider paddle pants with print next year.

 

Club Needs

  • Majority of members voted for major next purchase to be Ultra-light canoe.  $18,000 cost.  Will review after OC1 racks and GWCR are over.

 

Recreation paddling

  • Bruce, Ted, Lisa, and Matt Cross leading for August and September.  All have received paddle expectations.

 

GWCR Planning

  • Shirts – done, Michael will send mock up to board, eta by at least the Fri before
  • Medals on order by Jim – need to still get lanyards
  • Hilton food – Pasta, salad – 350 counts – Need ice!  And tables and chairs
  • Escort Boats – Derek has 1 locked up.  Bruce spoke to Mike Nelson and will follow up.  Kim check with her neighbor and Michael with Sean’s fishing friends.  DoBar form must be completed 30 days prior to race.  Michael will take care of Friday.   
  • Donation letters – done, need to send out to do silent auctions
  • Juice Plus recap for booth
  • Body Pro booth
  • Lava Lava chili rice – Jim will ask for club after
  • Band – Pasa and the Gang, Michael will get number from Derek
  • Course will start in the bay
  • Bruce will run parking; Derek talk to guys, need 5-6
  • Decorations; Kim will head and ask Crystal for assistance
  • Jim email club for volunteers for set up
  • Men bring water and juice/soda, Women bring dessert (hand held desserts only)
  • Jim email regarding officials and timers
  • Times in paper, spreadsheet of times (need) – Michael can help with times
  • Registration Michael will ask Mike Bernstone
  • Awards – Uncle Ed
  • Right of Entry with WLC is done
  • Blessing – Owana has confirmed
  • Jim has portable PA system with microphone

 

Review of Fiji Sister Club Invitation

  • 7-8 current paddlers with air
  • Jennifer will email back the interested club list, can send to entire club again to see

 

New Website

  • Site not up yet, Michelle to advise

 

New Business:

 

  • Jon requested tickets to sell for Lava Lava event
  • Kai Opua Keiki race last weekend, the head coach of Kai Ehitu requested us to loan out our Bradley for long distance season.  Discussion ensued, no motions to loan ours.
  • Makana I Ke Kai needs refinishing.  Derek would like to modify canoe to close off front and rear bulkheads.  Non-Traditional and Unlimited classes do not have to have open bulkheads.  Derek to get cost.
  • Lily race can set up music for double hull race in canoe; Jim sent email for interest and playlists.

 

Meeting adjourned 7:54 PM

Next meeting September 4th, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams.