Posted by on Aug 2, 2017 in Minutes | Comments Off on Meeting Minutes: June 7, 2017

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

June 7, 2017

The meeting convened at 6:05 PM on June 7, 2017 at the Waikoloa Village Association conference room.

Secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes:  Rami Ring

Board members present:  Lisa Legler, Jim Albone, Steve Columbo, Guy Davis, John Ciambrone, Mike Chin-Quee,  Rami Ring

Head Coach Ed Teixeira present

Board members absent:  None

Other members present:  Daniel Legler

President Lisa Legler opened the meeting.

  • Jim motioned to approve minutes from last month,  motion second, approved by all.
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • P/L & BS not in requested format, John will relay the Board’s request to Mike Bernstone.
    • Transfer of money into special account has not been done yet.  John will speak to Mike about transferring of funds.  As per BoD meeting on 3/1/17, it was agreed that:
      • $10,000 will be left in the checking account
      • $5,000 will be transferred to the restricted savings account
      • The balance will be transferred to the savings account
  • Coach’s Report (Ed)
    • Coach Ed recommended cancelling the authorization to purchase a new ama through Steve Blyth as was approved through e-mails on 4/14/17.  Jim made a motion to rescind the authorization of $6500 towards the purchase of the ama for the Kama O Ka Lani.  Motion seconded, all in favor.
  • Moku Report
    • A coach’s meeting will be held this Sat, 6/10/17 to decide on the definition and status of Novice A paddlers.
  • Equipment Report (Guy & Steve)
    • Kama O Ka Lani
      • Moving of seats 2,3,4 have been completed, waiting for a Coach’s performance report before securing placement of said seats.
      • Finish is deteriorating, will need to be refinished later in the year.
      • A crack has been discovered, however we can hold off until the end of the season to do repairs.  Guy is requesting we find a third party to do the repairs instead of himself.  Coach Ed will be seeking contacts for repairs.
    • Guy repaired all the trailer lights, but just discovered another light is out again.
    • Trailer may possibly need a safety check, John will follow up with Mike Bernstone to see if it’s due.
    • 2 fiberglass amas have cracks.  Before taking them off to do repairs, we  will wait for new amas to arrive.  Jim will look into person to do repairs on the amas.
  • Fundraisers
    • Great Waikoloa Canoe Race
      • John conducted a meeting last week, and now has chairs for all committees.  Next meeting will be on 6/28/17.
      • Jim to send John the information on pricing for live music
      • Club member Denise Vidosh will be providing chase boat.  Steve is requesting the club to pay for fuel necessary for the chase boat.  Steve will send John all information on chase boat.
      • Marriott is providing food, John to meet with Marriott again prior to next meeting on 6/28/17.
      • Rami to put GWCR flyer and entry blank on website.
    • Other fundraisers (Jim)
      • Nickelodeon fundraiser went well and raised $3000 for the club.  Jun provided his canoes, trailer & friends for this fundraising event, so Jim is requesting a “gift” for their efforts.  Jim will inquire with Jun an appropriate gift.
      • King’s Shops- On Sept. 6, use of 1 double-hull canoe and construction of a platform to transport 3 musicians to King’s Lake.  The donation amount has not been determined, but it could possibly turn into a regular fundraiser.  Jim makes a motion to accept this fundraising effort.  Motion is seconded, approved by all.
      • Oregon 4-H Leisure Paddle-Mid summer for around 20 4-H members and chaperones.  Have not heard anything further.
      • Ocean Sports Corportate Regatta-Sept. 26, 2017-10 Canoe Regatta for 275 people.  3-4 hours.  Will need 4 canoes from another club to help make the 10 canoes needed.
  • Unfinished business
    • HCRA Insurance- John to further examine insured amounts on club canoes and deductibles
  • New Business
    • John requests using Dropbox for club documents
    • Lyle Cabacungan has requested to be withdrawn from the club and a refund of his $125.00 membership.  John makes a motion to refund Lyle $62.50 with a clear understanding that he is no longer a member.  Motion seconded, approved by all.  Lisa will handle the refund and the letter informing him of the Board’s decision.  It has also been decided that we need to add the wording “No Refunds”  on application.
    • Jim makes a motion to empty out the storage shed in Kona and either move everything to our shed at A Bay or get rid of it.  Motion is seconded, approved by all.

Jim motions to adjourn, motion is seconded.  Meeting is adjourned at 7:29 pm.

Next meeting will be on Wed., July 12, 2017 at 6:00 PM, possibly in the Ohana room.