Posted by on Feb 8, 2017 in Minutes | Comments Off on Meeting Minutes: Jan. 18, 2017

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Jan. 18, 2017

The meeting convened at 6:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2017 at the Waikoloa Village Association conference room.

Secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes:  Rami Ring

Board members present:  Lisa Legler, John Ciambrone, Phillip Beasley, Jim Albone, Guy Davis, Steve Columbo, Lyle Cabacungan, Mike Chin-Quee, Ed Teixeira, Rami Ring

Board members absent:  none

President Lisa Legler opened the meeting at 6:00 PM with the reading of the vision statement and code of conduct, and stated that feedback was given to her that some paddlers have been yelled at by steersman.  In an effort to grow positively as a club all beach directors and board of directors are asked to be keep it enjoyable, be respectful of all, and balance the skill and ability of each crew.

Previous meeting minutes

  • Dec. 2015 annual meeting- Jim motions to approve, Steve seconds, all approved
  • Dec. 2016 Bod meeting, Jim motions to approve, Phil seconds, Lyle & John abstain, all others approve
  • Jan. 2017 Bod meeting- Phil motions to approve, Jim seconds, Lyle & John abstain, all others approve

Treasurer’s Report (Phillip)

  • Phillip needs access to bank, requires letter for bank.  Rami to sign letter to submit to bank to update authorized signers on account.
  • Rack rental agreements-Mike will continue with rack assignments for this season
  • Spending limits for Treasurer plus Designated additional signature(s)
    • Jim motions to approve a $500 spending limit without approaching board Steve seconds, all approve
  • Bank currently does not recognize 2 signatures on WCC account and it will cost money to establish account as such, so decision was made to continue with 1 signature.
  • Mailbox key- Phillip now has Mike’s key, there is no other mailbox key

Moku Report (Lisa)

  • No Moku meeting this month, will resume next month

Coaches Report (Ed)

  • First meeting with all paddlers, racers & recreational, will be Sat., Jan. 28, 8:00 am, followed by paddling.
  • Practice start date and schedule
    • Mon Jan. 30 start paddling practice.  Tentatively planned through the month of Feb., 3 times a week 4:30-6 pm.  Additional days or times depends on turnout.
    • Ohana- Tues, Thur, Sun morning
    • Coach Ed to communicate by e-mail with paddlers, Rami to put on website.
  • Junior and adult racers
    • Lisa has reached out to Amy Kendziorski at Waimea Middle School to encourage junior paddling 2 times per week.
    • Lyle will contact Waikoloa Elementary School about encouraging junior paddling
  • Assistants
    • Coach Ed has already reached out for various assistants, still formulating
    • Coach Ed’s vision is crew leadership within the crew
  • Jim to explore possibility of announcing Ed as our new Coach in newspaper

Kama O Kalani (Lisa/Rami)

  • Potluck sign up has been sent out
  • At the ceremony, John Ciambrone would like to thank everyone for their contributions and help with fundraiser and present Henry Biscardi’s koa figurine .
  • Status of repairs- Canoe is done, iakos are done.  Daniel will cover and transport canoe. Ed recommends getting it water lined before bringing it back.  Doug will pick up and install foam in trailer.  Daniel to order new hitch for trailer.  Koa to be stored upside down for added protection.

Recreational paddling

  • Goals
    • Promote Hawaiian canoe paddling and the growth of the club
    • Help to advance skill level of paddlers
  • Steersman responsibilities
    • New steersman should not be teaching others how to paddle
  • Paddle director responsibilities
    • Paddle director decides if conditions are appropriate for taking canoes out.
    • Mike CQ makes a motion to not hold to the 3-time paddle policy for members of another club if all paid club members have seats and there are seats available.  John seconds the motion, all are in agreement.
  • Paperwork
    • Phillip updated paddling sign-in sheet and volunteered to maintain binder.
    • Valinda created visitor roster for beach director
    • Phillip has created a paid members list
    • Lisa requests when guest sign HCRA waiver, write a big “G” in upper corner, so it doesn’t get mixed in with membership forms

Membership Drive

  • Sat, 2/4, Sat, 2/11, Sun, 2/12 8:00-10:00 am
  • Ad in newspaper, banner on bridge
  • Waikoloa School (Lyle will approach), Waimea School (Lisa will work with Amy)
  • Jim to call “Let’s Go Banners” to make another banner for store

Equipment Report (Guy)

  • Steve working on storage racks for koa canoe
  • Beth completed cover
  • Vinyl needs to be ordered for damaged cover (hole)

Committees

  • Fundraisers
    • Lavaman Triathalon April 2(Phillip)- Confirmed commitment for $1000 for set-up, tear down; $300 for water patrol.  Jim makes a motion that we participate with  Lavaman fundraiser, Phillip 2nds, all are in agreement
    • John feels a budget is instrumental in fundraising efforts, he will be working on a budget along with Phillip
  • Great Waikoloa Canoe Race
    • Lisa & Jim to approach Marriott to see if they’re interested in doing to food for the event.

Board Responsibilities

  • Facebook- Phillip will manage
  • Website-Phillip will manage
    • info@waikoloacanoeclub.com needs to be updated
    • Rami to enter Events on website, ie.  membership drive info, paddling practice times,  blessing, fundraising
  • HCRA membership book- Once we enter race season, a book needs to compiled with membership application,  HCRA waiver, picture ID.  Back section of book should be filled with ohana paddler’s info also in case they decide to race.  Lisa to send all paperwork to Aloha for approval before racing.

The next meeting will be Wed, 2/1 6:00 pm in WVA conference room.

Jim motions to adjourn, Guy seconds.  The meeting is adjourned at 8:17 PM.