Posted by on Jul 19, 2013 in Minutes | Comments Off on Minutes – May 1st, 2013

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Director Meeting Minutes

May 1, 2013

The meeting convened at 6:28 PM on May 1, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.

 

All board members present except Kim Pratt & Coach Derek.  No club members in attendance.

 

President Jim Albone opened the meeting.

 

Acceptance of Previous Minutes

April 3, 2013 meeting minutes approved

 

Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier

  • See P&L statement
  • Some charges will be on next month because the statement for the Debit card does not come until after the board meetings, i.e. Food charges for Blessing are not included in P&L this month.
  • Miscellaneous expenses are the donations for the Blessing services
  • Refund from Kai Opua for the trailer repair was received
  • Chrysalis should have check in the mail for the leisure canoe paddle $2k

 

Coach’s Report:

  • AM practices – check with Kim/Derek; possible Russell, Aron, Lydia, Kim, & Michelle

 

Moku Update:  Jim Albone

  • Coaches and Officials meeting done; Jim received approval for expanding the PA system
  • Need to finish up the registrations for races

 

Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone

  • OC1 Rack builds and Halau roof; Greg Erickson will look at Honaunau, but have not heard back. Jim will try again. 
  • Trailer repair: done and payment received
  • New Dollie – Hospital wants to donate $500 to club equipment, check if Doug Bumatay will build, or other option for Hospital money is the $1000 paddle order coming in soon.  Motion by Michael to build the new dollie and have Hospital donation go toward this purchase.  Bruce 2nd.  Unanimously approved.
  • Derek requested to purchase 2 sets of quick straps, doesn’t need approval, regular purchase
  • Paddles should be done very soon
  • Status of order of 1 new front Iako; bringing this one to Kawaihae race
  • Makana’s Iakos; bringing the ultra-light Iakos as well to Kawaihae race
  • Ho’omaluō Ama / Iakos; Bill is building Koa canoes at the moment and not focused on Ama building.  Jim talked with Doug Bumatay $4,500 for a Wiliwili.  Don Wier wants $1,600 for a Koa.  Jim calling to see about building an Ama.  Jim will continue to investigate.  Michelle move to approve Jim to order Ama for $2k or less.  Michael 2nd. Unanimously approved. Will look for Iakos after we find an Ama builder.
  • Lights in the shed are due to power issues.  When the electric co. put in the new lights they cut the cord.  Jim talk to WLC to fix it.  Look at changing timer out for a sensor light switch.
  • Megaphone was bought, Jim sent back and refund coming.  Will look for a Megaphone with higher wattage.  Will need Military kine, floats, waterproof, purple, will need to approve $500.  Jennifer move to allow Jim to buy a new Megaphone for up to $500 plus shipping.  Michael 2nd. Unanimously approved.

 

Old Business:

 

Upcoming Events: Jim

  • May 4 keiki LD race
  • Sept 17th Regatta with Chrysalis

 

Waikoloa Land Company

  • Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle and meet with them on the drawings for the Halau and OC1 racks     

 

Fundraisers: Michael

  • Steak Fry set up for June 14th for Keiki at Waikoloa Market
  • Indiegogo.com: Tabled for next big project

 

Legal Document for borrowing canoes

  • No updates, Michelle will follow up

 

Inventory and re-order of rash guards

  • Ocean Outfits came down, 6-8 week turn from order to receipt; Mua can turn in 2 weeks.
  • Order keiki rash guards from Mua for 48-50, club donate to keiki but keiki will work fundraisers to pay part of their rash guards.  Do the front with the left side design and the Waikoloa Canoe Club with canoe through it on the back.  Looking at $750 +/- in keiki shirts.
  • Michelle will send out mock ups for order for adults from Ocean Outfits.  We are using all same kind of fabric as Patagonia.  SPF 50 fabric.  Order will be about $5k for shirts.  Board shorts order to start maybe 24 men’s and 24 women’s; cost will be about $1,400.
  • Motion by Michael to move forward in placing all 3 orders up to $8k w/tax after approval of the mock ups.  Michelle 2nd.  Unanimously approved.

 

New Business:

 

Hone vs. Race Schedule

  • Honu is June 1st, currently this is Na Wa’a LD race.  Adults Road station and 2 Run stations.  Keiki do 1 run station and Michael will ask Derby girls to do one side of the run stations.  Give Derby Girls donation of 1/3rd of the donation from Honu.  Michael to put out to club for volunteers and get counts.  Jennifer motion to have adults do bike station, keiki do 1 run station, and derby girls do 1 run station and donate 1/3rd of proceeds to derby girls.  2nd by Michelle.  Unanimously approved.
  • Michael request to purchase golf nets, requesting Sean to build and purchase materials.  Unanimously approved up to $200 to spend.
  • Board to discuss with Derek sending at least one boat to the June 1st race.

 

Theft of OC1 parts

  • Bruce’s OC1 rudder was stolen from WCC racks.  With the new design if rudders can be secured would be nice.  The new rack design currently doesn’t account for this.

 

Next club needs; ultra-light canoe, fiberglass, van

  • Have heard about double hull takes up 2 canoes leaving only 4 for practices.  Jim was asking Rec paddlers what they’d want and the request was double hull and what else is out there.  Talked about ultra-light, very excited and want one.
  • Other thoughts include an Oc2 or Oc1 or Bus.  Discussed asking the Waikoloa shuttle to add service to A-Bay/Queen shops.
  • Should do a Survey Monkey survey of what the club members would like to buy next.  Include the pros and cons of each item.  Include a double hull, a new fiberglass, a new ultra-light, an Oc1 or 2, a club van and other ____ fill in the blank.  Try and see if we can have them rank them instead of pick one.
  • Will ask Adrea to put together a survey for the club.  Jennifer will ask Adrea.

 

Recreation Paddling

  • Marty requesting to have Lisa Legler a paddle director for rec.  Kim was going to let him know she is not a member and to have Daniel add her as family member and agree to director rules.  Bruce is going to run Tuesdays for August through September.

 

Jennifer Request

  • Request to take a canoe out with Johanna steering for Amy Gollenberg’s going away with crew.  Board agreed.

 

GWCR

  • Need to get the committee going, Michael requested the volunteer list
  • Michelle idea for shirt using Ho’omaluō picture

 

Fiji sister club

  • Coming May 5th, will contact Jim

 

San Diego club

  • Request for canoe for Queen Lilio.  Placing David in touch with Jim.

 

Meeting adjourned 7:48 PM

Next meeting June 5th, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams.