Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
June 5, 2013
The meeting convened at 6:28 PM on June 5, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present except Michael Landers. No club members in attendance.
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
May 1, 2013 meeting minutes approved
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- See P&L statement, paid all insurance on canoes and trailer for the year
- $7k flagged for rash guard orders
- Ama, Iakos, and Dollie hasn’t come through the bank yet
- AM practices – Kim holding on Tuesdays only at 6am
- Tuesday next week Johanna will run practice, Wednesday night cxl, Thursday Derek be there and load both Koa’s for Hilo
Moku Update: Jim Albone
- No meeting since the 20th
- Check our Trade Name filing each year (WCC Inc. dba Waikoloa Canoe Club) – Bruce will look into
- Website domain renewal is annual and comes to Michelle, might be worth looking at building a new site that’s easier to maintain, Michelle will look at options
- Water lining on the 16th of the month for a few Koa’s
Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone
- OC1 Rack builds and Halau roof; Jim received email from WLC saying we don’t need approval to replace OC1 racks. Greg Erickson reviewed designs and materials. Bruce will take over following up on project for Jim.
- New Dollie – Order placed with Doug Bumatay
- Ho’omaluō Ama / Iakos; Ama is on order, once completed will move forward with Iakos. Ama is being done by Don Weir for $1,600.
- Lights in the shed are fixed. Timer still works so not replacing.
- 1 Ama in need of repair, taking to Bill this weekend. Iakos were all done last year, should go through all Ama’s this year. Cost will vary for each.
- Off season need to send Kuakini Kai’s Iakos to be re-finished and full maintenance on Makani I Ke Kai
- New Pure Steering blades are now in the shed
Upcoming Events: Jim
- Sept 17th Regatta with Chrysalis
- Derek follow up with Hospital on the donation for Dollie
Waikoloa Land Company
- Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle and meet with them on the drawings for the Halau and OC1 racks
- Steak Fry set up for June 14th at Waikoloa Market
- Indiegogo.com: possible use for Fiji Race
Legal Document for borrowing canoes
- No updates, Michelle will follow up
Inventory and re-order of rash guards
- Awaiting remaining 5 mock ups before ordering
Results of club needs survey
- Received the survey results and the #1 choice by 64% of the vote was for an Ultra-light canoe. Second the “Other” category. Third a new fiberglass.
- Motion by Bruce to accept the results of the survey for our next major purchase
- Derek will look into used ultra-light canoes for sale after Olamau cost.
- Lisa hasn’t been back to beach to be paddle director. Bruce will doing Tuesday. Matt Cross, Thursday. Ted, Sunday. This is for August and September rec paddling times. Each needs to receive the paddle expectations.
- Shirts – Do Hoomaluo photo on back, naupaka and ACS on front, put the words from the ceremony around the photo (yes, Hoomaluo is a good canoe) – look for landscape photo – check with Adrea if she’ll design
- Hilton food – Jenn check on food and menu
- Alcohol free event
- ACS donation = $20 per crew and 10% of silent auction
- No raffle this year
- Michael will get donation letters out Friday
- Derek would like to add an OC-3 division (Jim check on if ok w/Moku)
- Derek mentioned will change course and start
- Band for this year
- Generator we have (Jim) and PA use band set up
- Escort Boats – must have 3, Derek has 3 people can call, Jim will reach out to Andy again and John Makoff, See if Jeb has any other contacts
- Visit doing an Oc1/Oc2/Oc3 or SUP race later in the year
Review of Fiji Sister Club Invitation
- Jim’s email to club had strong replies, 16+ possible
- Michael and Jenn will spearhead
- Jim will fwd Jenn/Michael list of respondants
Club Grant Programs (Hardship Cases)
- Motion to give Bill and Nancy membership for 2013 by Michelle. Bruce second. Need them to still sign forms. Unanimously approved.
Makani I Ke Kai
- Keauhou requested to use canoe for Olamau
- Michelle looking into if our insurance would cover it, if not they would need to take out their own full policy
- Crew can use canoe out of A-Bay, need to contact Jim on when they will use it
- Crew must make their own arrangements to get canoe to Kawaihae
Meeting adjourned 8:10 PM
Next meeting July 10th, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams.