Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
January 2, 2013
The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on January 2, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present. Club members in attendance; Ruth & Harold Van Doren, Adrea Gibbs.
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
December 12, 2012 meeting minutes approved
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- See Treasurer’s report for financials, accepted
- Michelle move that all fundraising money for 2013 goes into our 3rd savings account as a capital improvement fund, Jennifer 2nd, unanimously approved.
Coach’s Report: Derek Park & Jeb Goss
- Need to look at setting up the membership drive
- Set up newsletter for school for membership drive as well, needs to be done early for review by the school
- Steering Clinic on January 12th at 8am
Moku Update: Jim Albone
- No update
Equipment Report: Derek Park
- Last paddles have been picked up
- J3 is done and rigged and back at the beach.
- OC1 Rack builds; Derek has blue prints started, finalizing this month, then will turn over to WLC and Martin, Greg, & Kea to spearhead the building.
- Drawing up blueprints to extend Halau roof to cover new Koa – Derek
- Materials are bought for repair of trailer, starting to work on next week– Jennifer and/or Michelle to Provide Kai Opua estimate of repair as provided by Derek.
- Paddle racks inside shed need to be rebuilt; Derek will look at plans to rebuild. Also replace/repair shelving – Derek and Jim to research new shelving (good) solution, will replace during clean up
- Dollie, frame steel is already purchased and Derek has, table building and completion until after J3 is fixed.
KOA Log: Kim Pratt / Jim Albone
- No further updates, should be ready by end of January
- Need to wait on Ama and Iakos, both just have to be of Hawaiian wood, should see how/where the water line is, lead time for Iako’s about 1-2 months, Ama 3-4 months.
- Need to get a cover made before canoe leaves Kona, Derek to follow up, est. $700
- Koa Canoe names request email went out, possibly test online voting for name
Upcoming Events: Michael
- Feb 2; 9:30 – 12:30 Chrysalis Event contract is out for $3,600 – Pictures from last event provided for us to use on our website – Michelle to post
- MC&A has March group, wants to use canoes to serve drinks on the beach, no updates
- Chrysalis has an April 11th AM Regatta they want us to put on like last year’s event, likely will be a go no contract yet
Waikoloa Land Company
- Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle
Waikoloa Canoe Club Membership ID card
- Michael designed card and will catch up membership already processed. Michelle needs to order more envelopes check Vista Print or Viral Print.
- Updated and website is done
Christmas Trees at Mauna Lani:
- Winning tree collects donations and then uses them to go down and vote on their tree
Indiegogo.com: Bruce – update next meeting
- Donation site for donation requests, donate x dollars and receive x item, Bruce will write up some language
Dominoes: Michael to update next meeting
- Waimea location will let us do 1 x month & they will donate 10% of proceeds in exchange for handing out flyers
- All is set up and running
Legal Document for borrowing canoes
- No updates, Michelle will follow up
Annual Membership meeting
- January 26th; 10AM at A-Bay
- Nominating Committee; Contact Adrea if interested in running, Send Adrea your bio via email, 125 words or less
Recreational 8AM Paddling Directors
- No other updates. Marty there all 3 days.
DQ Double Hull
- Jeb didn’t make it to review the double hull, Derek to look at canoe and update at next meeting
- Need to send donation invoice for the borrowed canoes for Surf Park for Parker- Michelle sent to Jeb- send additional copy to Derek to give them
2013 coach status:
- Currently Derek is the only candidate his name on the table
- Jim will post in Short Hops for next Tuesday publication and Craigslist
Rules of Canoe storage OC1 / OC2 – many are not being used
- Question brought from membership. Currently there is a 5 spot wait list.
- Send a broadcast note to the membership asking if a member not using their canoe would like to give up their spot – Michelle
Use of Facebook -vs- password protected spaces on WCC website
- Security of individual information as part of the group discussion
- Helgi had approval to use only the canoe club logo on his gear, he needs to come back to the board to follow up with more information as originally presented
- Post on FB page is used for paddling and paddling related community. Michelle
Determine Agenda for Annual Meeting
- Juice / coffee / Danish = Bruce will arrange, Michelle move to let Bruce buy refreshments up to $200 for the annual meeting, Michael 2nd, unanimously approved.
- Open the meeting
- President recaps the past year and club accomplishments, by-laws, fundraising achievements, koa canoe, equipment update
- Approve last year’s annual meeting minutes
- Treasurers Report
- Voting of 2013 board
- Naming of the Koa Canoe – Presentation boards – Michael
- Committee Opportunities / Sign Up; Nominations committee, GWCR committee, Fundraising committee, Equipment & Maintenance committee
Request for permission for Jim:
- Take out a couple of canoes to spread mother’s ashes if winds are down Sunday Jan 20th around noon (subject to change if winds are high). Board unanimously approved. If anyone can help with a Kahuna for service let Jim know.
- Need to get drive into Short Hops, ask Les at the market to put up banner, ask WLC if we can put sign on Halau or on our ropes, ask Lava Lava if they will assist. Minimum 6 to 8 ft long by 2 to 3 ft high – Michelle will look into
- Get information to Waikoloa School – Michael
- Michelle to post in bulletin boards at market and Banjy’s
- February 23 & 24 dates for drive
Meeting adjourned 8:13 PM
Next meeting January 23rd, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams