Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
December 12, 2012
The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on December 12, 2012 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present except Michael Landers. Club members in attendance; Jeb Goss, Adrea Gibbs.
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
November 14, 2012 meeting minutes approved
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- See Treasurer’s report for financials, accepted
- Fiberglass canoe repairs will be more than anticipated as hull is delaminated
- Taxes are more complicated next year, Derek motion to pay Bill $9k of the Koa remaining balance of $18k before year end, Bruce 2nd, unanimously approved.
Coach’s Report: Derek Park & Jeb Goss
- No updates.
Moku Update: Jim Albone
- Moku motion to race the strip Koa did not pass
- Check wrote to Moku was for $1445, $730 insurance $280 ID’s, $360 for GWCR, $25 HCRA, $50 to Moku for membership
- Race schedule for next year; Michelle to send to Bernt to update website
- Moku meeting review, added women and men 65 races next year, senior races did not pass
Equipment Report: Derek Park
- Jeb has the last set of refinished Iakos and paddles, Derek will pick up.
- Bill estimating to be done end of December, but did not know about the delaminate, Jim talked with Bill, possibly end of next week
- OC1 Rack builds; Derek has blue prints started, finalizing this month, then will turn over to WLC and Martin, Greg, & Kea to spearhead the building.
- Drawing up blueprints to extend Halau roof to cover new Koa – Derek
- Trailer repair and ama holder will be next big repair to schedule, reinforce make fenders able to support weight, Measure this weekend. Provide Kai Opua estimate of repair.
- Paddle racks inside shed need to be rebuilt; Derek will look at plans to rebuild. Also replace/repair shelving
- Dollie, frame steel is already purchased and Derek has, table building and completion until after J3 is fixed.
KOA Log: Kim Pratt / Jim Albone
- Should be ready Mid-January
- Need decision on what to do for Ama and Iakos, both just have to be of Hawaiian wood, should wait and see how/where the water line is, lead time for Ama’s about 1-2 months, Ama 3-4 months.
- Koa or Hawaiian wood Ama seems to be running about $4500
- Need to get a cover made before canoe leaves Kona, Derek to follow up, est. $700
- Start thinking about a name and the blessing
Upcoming Events: Michael
- February 2 event, priced out event at $3,600, Chrysalis, no word back yet
- MC&A has March group, wants to use canoes to serve drinks on the beach, no updates
Waikoloa Land Company
- Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle
Waikoloa Canoe Club Membership ID card – Michael absent – update next meeting
- Michael will find business card stock to start Jan 1 with next year’s membership renewals.
- Need to put out 2013 forms – Michelle to post.
Christmas Trees at Mauna Lani; Michael absent – update next meeting
- $2k for the winning tree, Michael has expenses of about $185 to reimburse, Need to keep ornaments not in shed
Indiegogo.com; Bruce – update next meeting
- Donation site for donation requests, donate x dollars and receive x item, Bruce will write up some language
Dominoes; Michael absent – update next meeting
- Waimea location will let us do 1 x month & they will donate 10% of proceeds in exchange for handing out flyers
Hi-5; Matt absent – update next meeting
- Matt set up, 3 drops in October this far
Legal Document for borrowing canoes
- No updates, Michelle will follow up
- Need to write up donation invoice for the borrowed canoes for Surf Park for Parker- Michelle
Annual Membership meeting
- January 26th determined to be the date; 10AM at A-Bay
- Nominating Committee; Contact Adrea if interested in running, Send Adrea your bio via email, 125 words or less
Recreational 8AM Paddling Directors
- Weekdays regularly 2 canoes, sometimes a few shift to OC1’s. Bruce running Tuesday, Marty running Thursday and is normally there all 3 days. Kim/Derek running Sunday. Michelle B. setting up some 630 am times Tue/Thur when can.
DQ Double Hull
- Adrea was to get Jeb price quote and Jeb to look at canoe – ask for update next meeting
- Canoe lease should be over by end of January – Jeb will call Mike to find out and get Michelle address / person / contact for donation invoice
Jennifer; Review of Notice of Beach Repair Status by WLC
Bruce; Float in Waikoloa Parade, no float this year
All; Next meeting discuss what to present at the annual meeting, create Annual Meeting Agenda to send to members after Jan 2 meeting so members have it in advance.
Adrea; Should request names for the new Koa from the club and vote at annual meeting. Adrea will send out request.
2013 coach status:
- Derek recused himself for the discussion
- Currently Derek has placed his name on the table
- No decisions made, will table for next meeting
Meeting adjourned 7:59 PM
Next meeting January 2nd, 6:30pm at Hawaiian Dreams