Posted by on Oct 13, 2017 in Minutes | Comments Off on BoD Meeting Minutes: Sept. 13, 2017

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Sept. 13, 2017

The meeting convened at 6:00 PM on Sept. 13, 2017 at the Waikoloa Village Association conference room.

Secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes:  Rami Ring

Board members present:  Lisa Legler, Jim Albone, Steve Columbo, Guy Davis, Mike Chin-Quee, Rami Ring

Head Coach Ed Teixeira present

Board members absent:  John Ciambrone

Other members present:  Kalani Kaili, Jimmy Mahuna, Chris Young, Jun Balanga, Aron Risley

President Lisa Legler called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm.

  • Jim motioned to accept the minutes with changes.  Motion was seconded, accepted by all.
  • Treasurer’s Report
  • Coach’s Report
    • Long distance season was very short this year due to HeiHei & Milolii race being cancelled.  WCC sent 10 crews to Liliuokalani race, 5 medaled.  This Sat will be last racing practice, need to focus on repair of canoes now.
    • We have 2 crews going to Pailolo.  Lightening (J6) will be used by Jeb’s crew and then another Molokai crew and shipped back to us.  Jun’s crew is using Kai Ehitu’s canoe for the Pailolo race.
  • Moku Report
    • Nothing to report
  • Equipment Report
    • New dolly has been at R & R waiting for a tube for tire.  This appears to be a constant problem so Guy bought a spare tube.  Tubes appear to be defective and leaks at the stem.
    • Sale of club generator- Jim makes a motion to advertise the generator for sale on  Craigslist for a minimum of $200.  Guy seconds, all are in favor.
    • Gonzo has fixed 2 amas already.  J1, J4, J5 haven’t been repaired in a while & are in need of repair.
    • Maluo has about 3 dozen cracks, Bill wants to sand them himself and do repairs for approx. $3000.  We will discuss this at the next meeting.
    • Coach Ed will organize an inventory of all canoes, and work needing to be done on each.
    • Additional glass canoe- Steve Blyth’s canoe did not pass HCRA requirements, so the Board is looking at other canoes.   The costs to purchase another Lightening canoe is approx. $18,000 and there is a 6 month lead time.  Mike CQ makes a motion to purchase another Lightening canoe if the budget allows.  Jim seconds the motion, approved by all.
    • We will discuss the option of purchasing an unlimited canoe next month.
  • Fundraisers
    • GWCR- John was absent, will discuss next month.
    • Sept. 25 fundraiser- not happening due to Waikoloa Land Co did not approve, we need to call it “team building” in future.
    • Jim is working on fundraiser with Ocean Sports & Merck Pharmaceutical
    • Hilton fundraiser- Phillip has enough volunteers and is communicating with everyone.  $300 donation to the club.
    • Cattlemen’s Assoc. Nov 16, 4-6pm , 2 canoes + steersman
  • Unfinished Business
    • End of season party-Sat., Sept. 23, Waikoloa Land Co has approved of reservation.  12:00 noon-3:00 potluck.  Rami to send e-mail to club.
    • Guidelines for off-island races- Rami to send an e-mail with the guidelines to the Board for approval or discussion.
    • Malibu T shirts- Lisa to follow up.
  • New Business
    • BoD elections and nominations committee- Rami to be on nominations committee, will request help from Vicki and Marcie.  Rami to send out attendance and results of last year’s meeting to the Board, and remind the club of the need to attend at least 2 Board meetings if they intend to run for the Board next year.
    • Membership dues- Mike CQ will work on establishing guidelines for pro-rated or reduced membership dues for joining late in the year.  Waiving of membership dues in lieu of doing work for the club was discussed, it was decided that Gonzo should bill WCC for fixing the ama and pay his dues instead of waiving.  Further discussions to be held at the next meeting.
    • Coach Ed nominates Ted Cassinelli to be a beach director.  Everyone approves.  Ed to make a list of qualified steersman and provide to beach directors.
    • Jim is proposing Tues, Thur afternoon and Sat AM for Ohana paddling effective   Oct 3.
    • Rami is requesting a check for Bob Yap for Pailolo.

The next meeting will be held on Wed, Oct. 4, at 6:00 PM in the WVA community room.

Rami makes a motion to adjourn the meeting, motion is seconded, approved by all.

Meeting is adjourned at  7:19 PM.