Posted by on Dec 12, 2017 in Minutes | Comments Off on BoD Meeting Minutes: Nov. 1, 2017

Waikoloa Canoe Club

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Nov. 1, 2017

 

John Ciambrone called the meeting to order at 6:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2017 at the Waikoloa Village Association conference room.

 

Secretary and recorder of minutes:  Rami Ring

 

Board members present:  John Ciambrone, Jim Albone, Steve Columbo, Mike Chin-Quee, Guy Davis, Rami Ring

 

Head Coach Ed Teixeira present

 

Board members absent:  Lisa Legler

 

Other members present:  Ric Rapp, Bitsy Cavanaugh, Chuck Pfaff

 

  • Minutes from the previous meeting was reviewed and approved with the addition of attendance by all.
  • Treasurer’s Report
  • Coach’s Report
    • Steers person roster- Coach provided a list of approved steers persons.
    • A lot of canoes going out for Ohana paddling, possibility of cutting down times and adding another run once snowbirds arrive.
  • Moku Report
    • Nov. 18 will be the annual meeting
      • 70+ division will be up for vote with Moku & HCRA
      • Moku has 3 lanes at states
      • 1st week of Feb. high schools will be asking to borrow lightenings
      • HCRA has hired a lawyer to get insurance to pay for a claim
      • Bellows considered as an option for 2018 states instead of Kihei.
  • Equipment Report
    • It is believed that Lisa sent out the deposit check of $8000 for the order of the new Bradley Lightning, but Coach Ed to follow up.
    • At last Ohana paddle it was noticed that the Bradley was not rigged properly.
    • We have only 1set of quick straps, Mike CQ will order 1 more set.
    • Guy & Coach Ed to assess which canoes need to be worked on, and recommendation of which canoes need repair or need to get rid of, as well as a master plan for repairs/use.
    • Guy has repaired the dolly with the flat tire.  Guy & Mike Goyette worked on new dollies and got them repaired and ready to go.  Guy is not happy with the quality of those dollies.  Ric mentioned that Kawaihae got dollies for $300 that are great, he will give us info on vendor.
    • Ric mentioned Big Island Marine has rope to help with hulis and for getting in canoes.
    • There are a lot of missing paddles, Jim suggests sending out an email to ask members to return paddles so we can do inventory.  Rami to send out email to the club.  Need to also assess junior paddles inventory and possible reorder.
    • Mike CQ makes a motion to purchase an extra set of iakos, for use when one is being repaired.  Guy seconds, approved by all.  Jim to obtain a quote.
    • The board approved Coach Ed’s request to get rid of all the old and worn out canvas.
    • The board approves Guy’s suggestion to buy more rigging rope.
    • Purchase of ultra light is postponed until the new year.
  • Fundraisers
    • Cattlemen’s Assoc- Jim will be handling this fundraiser and asking for help from the club.
  • Unfinished Business
    • Steve makes a motion to rescind the motion that was approved at last month’s meeting regarding 5 month membership for ½ price.  Guy seconded.  Mike abstains, Jim votes no, Steve, Guy & Rami approve.
    • Steve Columbo makes a motion to allow new members that join the club in the 4th quarter have their membership dues qualify towards paid membership for the following year.  This means that if NEW members join in the 4th quarter they will not need to pay again in Jan. of the following year.  Motion is seconded.  Mike & Jim vote no, Rami, Guy & Steve vote yes.
    • Annual meeting 12/16 at 10:00 am, Rami to check on deadline for nominations for board of directors.

 

The next meeting will be on Wed., Dec. 6 at 6:00 pm at WVA community meeting room.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:10 PM.