Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
August 9, 2017
The meeting convened at 6:10 PM on August 9, 2017 at the Waikoloa Village Association conference room.
Secretary in attendance and recorder of minutes: Rami Ring
Board members present: Lisa Legler, Jim Albone, Steve Columbo, John Ciambrone, Mike Chin-Quee, Rami Ring
Head Coach Ed Teixeira present
Board members absent: Guy Davis
Other members present: Chuck Pfaff, Cliff Gilley, Randy Ring, Kalani Kaili, Bob Yap
President Lisa Legler opened the meeting.
- Steve motioned to approve minutes with correction from last month, motion second, approved by all.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Coach’s Report (Ed)
- States Competition:
- Men’s 65 crew qualified but did not have enough to commit to going to states.
- Mixed 55 crew was offered a spot, and participated at states.
- Men’s 50 crew also offered a spot at states, and competed very well.
- Long distance practice has started…slow start, but more are coming out recently.
- Coach Ed has approved members putting their own crews together, but the final assignment of canoes are his call.
- Next race is Keoua Canoe Club’s Calvin Kelekolio race, we should have 4 canoes for the long distance race.
- We are in need of new beach directors, Coach Ed recommends: Julie Baretto, Guy Davis, Sammy Teixeira. Steve made a motion to approve those 3 as beach directors, motion is 2nd, approved by all.
- States Competition:
- Moku Report -nothing to report
- Equipment Report (Steve)
- Kama O Ka Lani- Guy, Steve, Mike Goyette, and Russ Simpliciano sanded and prepped for Bill to do repairs.
- Coach Ed points out that according to Ray Bumatay, the name “Kamaokalani” should be one name with no spaces. All members are in agreement to adopt the change.
- Jim makes a motion to approve the additional costs to repair the Kamaokalani, motion is 2nd, approved by all.
- We’ve received 2 new amas but they need to be switched out. There are 2 amas with cracks, Kalani will talk to Jun to see if he is able to repair. 1 ama is at Jun’s house and needs to be picked up. Steve has 2 Koa amas, 1 has been repaired and 1 still yet to be repaired. Ed to call Bill, see if he can fix the Maluo and Koa ama prior to GWCR.
- Iakos are getting pretty beat up, decision has been made to wait until end of long distance season (October, Nov) to do repairs. Coach Ed passed on recommendation by Don Weir that every 2 years iakos should be refinished.
- Buoys for GWCR are in. Steve will buy rope and anchors for race.
- Great Waikoloa Canoe Race- Next meeting to be Tues, 8/15 at 3:30 at A Bay. John to follow up with John Allen signs to look into purchasing stickers for canoes.
- Sept. 25 fundraiser- 10 canoes needed- 6 from WCC, 1 from Jun and 3 from Waiakea. $7000 for club donation to the club total. Jim makes a motion to give Waiakea $2000 for use of their 3 canoes and 6 volunteers for the fundraising event. Motion is seconded and approved by all.
- Other fundraisers- Rami to follow up with Phillip as to status of the Hilton fundraiser.
- Jim is working on fundraiser with Ocean sports for Jan., probably won’t know more details until Nov.
- King Shops is postponing doing anything with double hull fundraiser for now.
- There may be a possibility of helping with the Honu race again
- Pailolo (Bob Yap)
- Bob Yap has put it out to the club to get level of interest in participating with the Pailolo Challenge. There appears to be a lot of interest, and he is hoping to get 2 crews together…possibly a men’s crew and a mixed crew. Bob is asking for support from the board…use of canoes, monetary help, etc.; and is asking if there are any stipulations that the Board or Coach have for participating. The guidelines from last year was referred to (see attachment). Bob will be the contact person and coordinator,and Rami will be assisting him with planning. Jim makes a motion to allow up to $750 for 2 crew to participate in Pailolo. The motion is seconded and approved by all.
- Unfinished business
- The end of season party has been rescheduled to Sept 23, at Coconut Grove at A Bay around noon. Specific details to be confirmed at a later date.
- Rami will send Mike Bernstone an e-mail asking him to refund Dodson membership fee as we discussed at the last meeting.
- New Business
Rami motions to adjourn, motion is seconded. Meeting is adjourned at 7:07 pm.
Next meeting will be on Wed., Sept. 6, 2017 at 6:00 PM, in the conference room.