Waikoloa Canoe Club
Board of Director Meeting Minutes
April 3, 2013
The meeting convened at 6:30 PM on April 3, 2013 at Hawaiian Dreams Office in Waikoloa Village.
All board members present except Michael Landers. No club members in attendance.
President Jim Albone opened the meeting.
Acceptance of Previous Minutes
March 6, 2013 meeting minutes approved
Treasurer’s Report: Michelle Gautier
- See P&L statement
- Chrysalis is bringing check next week
Coach’s Report: Derek Park
- More people showing up now, some good feedback coming in, good attitudes
- More keiki crews this year, good adult support
- One month until Kawaihae race
- Wednesday night practices usually taking 1 canoe this far
- AM practices will begin after Hospital race
Moku Update: Jim Albone
- April 20th coaches clinic is at Waimea Community Center, need to send email to club – Jim to send
- New Koa barely passed in weight and length
Equipment Report: Derek Park / Jim Albone
- OC1 Rack builds and Halau roof; Get with Greg Erickson once back on island.
- Trailer repair: Kai Opua estimate mailed, awaiting payment.
- New Dollie, on hold
- Currently no backup Iakos, Michelle motion to order 1 new front Iako, unanimously approved
- Reaffirm approval to order Makana’s Iakos from Doug Bumatay
- Lights in the shed are out or could be power issues. Jim idea for solar powered motion light. Bruce to test voltage.
- Jim thought we should get a Megaphone. Michelle motion to buy a Megaphone up to $300 w/tax and shipping, Kim 2nd, unanimously approved.
- Small repair on Ama with Kukini Kai
- Kama O’Kalani insurance, insurance company will not go over $100k, Motion by Bruce to increase insurance on Kama O’Kalani up to $100k. Unanimously approved.
KOA Kaihuwaaopalekai Canoe: Jim Albone
- Ama status; No f/u with Bill yet – Jim to f/u
- Iakos; Doug Bumatay will build ultra-lights ($750)
- Name voting status; no update – awaiting update from Adrea
- Numbering Status; no update – Jim to f/u
- Invitations: Kim can get 50 for $14.99 at Costco use Koa picture – do now and do in digital format as well
- Invitees list reviewed
- Timeline reviewed
- Leis; 6 maile leis; board + coach flower leis, 3 ti leaves
- Food; Lava Lava donated Chili & Rice, Kim’s caterer $12 per person with Kalua Pork, Huli Huli Chicken, Lomi Salmon, Rice (check if can do Mac Salad). See if Lava Lava comes back with more by Friday, if no reply then Kim will move forward.
- Michelle will send a save the date reminder with Men to bring juice/water & fruit, Women
- Jennifer motion to budget $4,000 for Blessing event. Unanimously approved.
Upcoming Events: Jim
- April 11th AM Regatta with 8 boats for Chrysalis, paddlers at the beach at 8:30 am
- April 18th/19th 4 canoe rides with Chrysalis with history
- Sept 17th Regatta with Chrysalis
Waikoloa Land Company
- Outstanding follow up yet on gate keys and security plans, Jim will handle and meet with them on the drawings for the Halau and OC1 racks
Waikoloa Canoe Club Membership ID card
- Jim met with Lava Lava again, 10% discount.
- Indiegogo.com: Tabled for next big project
Legal Document for borrowing canoes
- No updates, Michelle will follow up
Canoe in rack A10
- Kim motion to sell the canoe for $200 to Harold as passed via email. Unanimously approved.
Inventory and re-order of rash guards
- Michelle worked with new company but not receiving response. We have quotes from Mua. Mua can do the white base w/purple. Awaiting one more reply from new company for bid.
Another Steering Clinic
- Derek to discuss clinic dates with Jeb
- Making adjustments to approved steering list
Canoe in Rack A9
- Request to contact member in rack for rack swap. Board agreed should not get involved, member can request directly from member.
Sister Club Opportunity with Fiji
- May 5th will be on island and meet up
- Link up to each other’s web site, maybe add in the New Zealand club and the Santa Barbara club
Surf Park April 28th borrowing of 2 canoes
- Michelle motion to allow Surf Park to borrow 2 canoes for this event. Unanimously approved.
Surf Park and Hamakua Mac Nut Factory donation for Olamau race
- Hamakua Mac Nut donating entry fee of $3,000 for Surf Park’s Olamau race
- Surf Park does not have 501c status yet, can Hamakua Mac Nut donate to WCC for Surf Park entry fee – yes have done before with Kona Athletic and Waikea
- Michelle motion to approve to assist Surf Park with the pass through for their donation. Unanimously approved.
- Maintaining consistency in practice, no crews going on own or setting own, Program Director sets crews and paddle
Quickbooks for Treasurer
- Motion by Michelle to buy the Quickbooks for Mac. Unanimously approved.
More steering blades for the club
- Derek will ask Odie if he would make a set of non-carbon fiber steering blades for the club. Look at 6 total paddles. Looking at: 1 48”, 2 50” and 2 52”. Michelle motion to approve as many steering paddles as we can get up to $1,000 from Odie. Unanimously approved.
- Can we borrow a tent for the corporate regatta this year? Board agreed yes.
Derek formal request
- May 26, Derek and Johanna wedding, request to borrow canoes for wedding and double hull. All fiberglass canoes. Motion to allow Derek to borrow fiberglass canoes for wedding in the afternoon on May 26 by Jennifer. Unanimously approved.
Derek-Hula Kai call
- Friday before we bless the Koa, April 26th, Hula Kai needs a trailer to move canoes from Kawaihae to Keokea. Explained any and all liability is their responsibility. Bruce motion that Jun is allowed to use our trailer for that race on that day.
- Looking for increasing membership and excitement about our club. Should we look at purchasing an ultra-light canoe? Currently Surf Park and Keauhou (Livestrong) have the only on island. No currently Moku sanctioned club has one. $18k with Canoe, Iakos, Ama, and Spray Skirt w/Odie. Ultra lights are bringing a lot of new attention and new races. Add another $1k for a cover.
- Discussion on new fiberglass and if we should look at building another Koa to sell. Discussion on waiting about another Koa, hold the wood for a few years and review if sell the wood or make another canoe.
- No decisions today, discussion on different options.
Meeting adjourned 8:41 PM
Next meeting May 1st, 6:30 pm at Hawaiian Dreams